Full Time Contract
13300 Crossroads Parkway North
City of Industry
Heluna Health invites applications for the full-time position of Research Study Coordinator in the Substance Use Research Unit (SURU), a grant-funded research unit within the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH). Research in this Unit focuses on the evaluation of behavioral, biological, and pharmacological clinical trials to reduce harms from substance use and HIV risk behaviors. This position will focus on a portfolio of methamphetamine, alcohol and cocaine-use related studies. Our close-knit team consists of a Medical Director, Research Scientist, Research Study Coordinators, Research Clinicians, Clinical Psychologist, Research Associates and Recruitment Team.
This is a full-time, grant funded, temporary, benefited position. Employment is provided by Heluna Health.
• Oversee and coordinate pharmacological intervention studies, including coordinating studies’ start-up, ensuring that studies are enrolling according to goals, and supporting staff to meet these goals using data-driven problem-solving.
• Oversee the development and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) and study specific protocols (SSPs) and ensure adherence of study staff to protocols and the principles of Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
• Facilitate weekly meetings and supervise research associates and other staff working on studies; provide guidance as a supervisor, conduct regularly scheduled supervisory meetings with direct reports
• Ensure that study staff are up-to-date with all training requirements, licenses and certifications
• Oversee, plan for, manage, and problem-solve the data needs of the Unit including creating and modifying survey instruments, interview guides, and case report forms
• Oversee management of study databases, including creating, modifying, and maintaining databases.
• Create, oversee, and manage the quality control systems for research records, study data, and regulatory obligations
• Independently manage regulatory affairs of studies, including Institutional Review Board (IRB), National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other funding or regulatory agency reports
• Generate as-needed reports for study team, including reports on recruitment, enrollment, retention, and adverse events
• Oversee recruitment activities
• Supervise and manage consultants and contractors such as text-messaging vendors, electronic medication monitoring systems, compounding pharmacies, and local laboratories.
• Contribute to the coordination and writing of grants and manuscript submissions for the Unit
• Plan for Unit staffing needs which may include hiring and training of research associates and clinical staff as needed
• Perform other related duties as required
• Master's in Public Health or other relevant Master's level degree
• 3+ years conducting/coordinating studies in public health, medical, substance abuse, or social services fields
• Experience applying regulations and guidelines such as Good Clinical Practice Guidelines, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), the Protection of Human Research Subjects, IRB regulations for recruitment and consent of research subjects
• Experience writing detailed reports or IRB submissions
• Experience supervising and managing research staff
• Experience with diverse communities, particularly communities of color, LGBTQ, and substance using communities
• Experience managing and analyzing data in Microsoft Access, Excel and/or Stata is a plus
Other Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Proven high-level of attention to detail and ability to function independently and perform multiple critical tasks simultaneously under dynamic circumstances and competing deadlines
• Familiarity with research processes including protocol development, recruitment, quantitative and qualitative research methods, data management, regulatory submissions, and quality assurance monitoring
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Excellent organizational skills
• Proficient computer skills including experience with Word, Excel, EndNote and PowerPoint
• Proficiency in data management (MS Access, SQL, Visual Basic) and/or computer coding experience
• Knowledge of HIV prevention and harm reduction principles
• Knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to the protection of human subjects and confidentiality of research records
Handling / Fingering Occasionally
Reach Outward Occasionally
Reach Above Shoulder Occasionally
Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend Occasionally
Lift / Carry Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
Push/Pull Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
Taste/ Smell Not Applicable
Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
Occasionally (0 - 2 hrs/day)
Frequently (2 - 5 hrs/day)
Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
General Office Setting, Indoors Temperature Controlled
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter AND resume for consideration.
All qualified applicants will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Health is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages minorities, women, veterans, and disabled to apply.
Please apply at the following URL: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/PUB1001PUBH/OpportunityCreate?opportunityId=cdb9204a-a742-41e3-82be-d707bad91395
Minimum Education Required