Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Assistant will help ensure the ACLU of Texas meets its fundraising and outreach goals by supporting the administrative needs Development Department and through database management and donor relations. The Development Assistant will serve an essential role in helping the organization’s fundraising operation run smoothly and efficiently, in helping manage and troubleshoot an ongoing transition to a Salesforce-based donor database.
For the nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been at the forefront of every major civil liberties fight in our country’s history. With ACLU affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, we fight tirelessly in the courts, legislatures, and through community engagement to ensure that all individuals’ rights are protected. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of lawyers, public policy and legislative advocacy experts, community organizers, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
There has never been a more exciting time to pursue a career at the ACLU. As we look toward our 100th anniversary in 2020, we are taking our organization to the next level by strengthening our development operation, strengthening infrastructure, amplifying our public engagement, expanding our legal program, and building the political power necessary to continue to fight new threats to freedom head-on—and win. Based in Houston with offices in Austin, Brownsville, Dallas, and El Paso, the ACLU of Texas is seeking a detail-oriented, team player to join our team.
- Maintain donor records and files, primarily via an online database through data entry and data management.
- Digitally enter and process philanthropic gifts to the organization.
- Generate gift acknowledgements to donors.
- Respond appropriately to donor inquiries via phone, mail, and email.
- Conduct donor and strategic research.
- Assist in the submission and drafting of proposals and reports to current and potential funders.
- Troubleshoot and problem-solve database-management challenges.
- Work and coordinate with the finance department to ensure proper reporting.
- Assist the development staff in planning and staffing events and other activities.
- Coordinate printed and electronic mailings.
- Manage and maintain organizational mailings to donors and constituents.
- Assemble and disseminate information for donors, members, constituents.
- Maintain inventory of promotional and informational materials for development staff.
- Manage travel and meetings for development-department staff.
- Manage calendars, schedule and organize appointments and meetings, oversee meeting logistics and follow-up.
- Compile and analyze data and information for special projects and reports.
- Maintain supplies for general office use in Houston and development staff in offices across the state.
- Attend certain ACLU functions, such as membership conferences, receptions, board meetings.
- Complete and submit expense reports for the development director.
- Attend department and staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- An associate’s degree or equivalent experience plus at least two years of relevant work experience requited—bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Work experience that demonstrates a confident and professional work style, an ability to work creatively and independently, and to exercise good judgment in stressful circumstances.
- A strong attention to detail and the ability to complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- The ability to manage several projects at various stages of completion.
- The ability to be punctual, detail-oriented, focused, consistent, and flexible.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships in person and over the phone with volunteers, staff colleagues and the general public.
- Proven writing and proofreading skills, with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience and a high degree of proficiency working with computers, the internet and standard software such as MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Experience with databases and data entry required.
- Experience with donor databases, donor relations, or gift processing a plus.
- Excellent clerical, data-management, and writing skills.
- Bilingual skills, especially the ability to speak Spanish, also helpful, but not required.
- A sense of humor is essential.
Excellent medical and dental insurance; disability insurance; 401(k) with organizational match; reimbursements for travel & phone use; and generous paid time off policies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Electronic applications in MS Word preferred. Submit a letter of interest mentioning where you saw this posting, along with a résumé and the ACLU of Texas application (available at www.aclutx.org, under ‘careers’) to:
or mail: ACLU of Texas
Attn: Development Assistant Search
PO Box 8306, Houston, TX 77288-8306
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.