Details: Salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with experience.
3035 Washington Street
826 Boston, an award-winning nonprofit youth writing center located in Roxbury, MA, seeks a dynamic, resourceful team member to serve as its full-time Volunteer Manager.
826 Boston is a nonprofit youth writing and publishing organization that empowers traditionally underserved students ages 6-18 to find their voices, tell their stories, and gain communication skills to succeed in school and in life. Our high-impact programs are based on the understanding that great leaps in learning can occur with individualized attention, and that writing skills are fundamental to future success.
826 Boston is part of a national network of youth writing centers, founded by the award-winning author Dave Eggers, which was voted one of the top 30 companies to work for by Good Magazine. In 2013, the 826 National network garnered the prestigious American Literacy Prize awarded by the Library of Congress. Since opening in 2007, 826 Boston has delivered its free youth writing and tutoring programs to more than 22,000 students and has been recognized by The Boston Globe as one of the best places in the city to volunteer. 826 Boston’s youth writers have published their work in The New York Times, The Boston Globe, and in numerous award-winning 826 Boston books, including A Place for Me in the World, which was hailed as a “triumph of middle school education” by The Boston Globe.
This is an exempt, full-time position that reports to the Education Director. The 826 Boston Volunteer Manager works out of 826 Boston’s headquarters in Egleston Square, but will be expected to travel routinely to various university and community partner meetings and hiring fairs.
826 Boston is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a multicultural organization. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit www.826boston.org.
826 Boston is searching for a candidate who possesses the following:
- Three or more years of experience as a manager of personnel and volunteers
- Two or more years of experience using SalesForce or a comparable database
- Experience managing corporate and/or university partnerships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic speaking style and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups
- Experience creating engaging marketing materials via newsletters, website, and social media
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to pay close attention to detail and to demonstrate strong follow-through
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced office environment
- Enthusiastic belief in the mission of 826 Boston
Candidates may also have experience in the following areas:
- Management of nonprofit human resources functions
- Office management including ordering of supplies and maintenance of office systems
- Ability to speak Spanish proficiently, though this is not a requirement
Volunteer Recruitment and Management
- Coordinate 826 Boston’s volunteer corps of 700+ individuals on an annual basis to fuel programs and events
- Maintain a robust online volunteer portal including a calendar and sign-up tool
- Lead service-learning orientations, information sessions, and onboarding trainings; coordinate specialized tutor trainings to meet the needs/interests of volunteer corps
- Conduct targeted outreach to strategically expand and diversify volunteer corps to support 826 Boston’s Writers’ Room Program, Young Authors’ Book Projects, and Out-of-School Time Programs, as well as community and fundraising events
- Maintain volunteer records, track participation, and produce quarterly reports in SalesForce on volunteer service; present at quarterly team meetings
- Supervise two AmeriCorps VISTA service members and up to one part-time campus recruiter
- Hire and coordinate an intern corps of 6 to 12 members per semester
- Conduct CORI background checks on volunteers to ensure safety of 826 Boston community
- Develop and facilitate the Volunteer Advisory Board to provide feedback on the volunteer experience, inform best practices in volunteer management, and leverage support for recruitment
- Oversee volunteer newsletters advertising volunteer opportunities and celebrating volunteer accomplishments and contributions
- Plan and facilitate volunteer appreciation events, including the annual “Interrobang?!” celebration
- Maintain and build volunteer partnerships with universities, including a seat on the Northeastern Community Council
- Collaborate with 826 Boston development team on corporate engagement to bolster volunteer involvement
- Collaborate with 826 Boston programs and development teams on College Essay Boot Camp on the Road program
- Support staff and Executive Board as needed
Competencies associated with this role:
- Planning and Execution: Develops project and/or team wide work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage resources, time, and people efficiently and effectively; Demonstrates problem-solving skills to overcome challenges and maximize limited resources.
- Direction: Considers challenges, financial limitations, and other long-term factors when setting a vision; Embeds solutions in all levels of planning; Defines and communicates a team vision rooted in 826 Boston’s broader vision and priorities.
- Management: Provides appropriate level of day-to-day support to team, differentiating styles based on individuals/assignments; Translates goals and initiatives into individual responsibilities and delegates accordingly.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Builds team capacity to seek a diverse set of external perspectives from community stakeholders to inform planning and decision making within area of work; Sees and responds to the big picture, in which stakeholders are being engaged and heard; Values and prioritizes unparalleled service to students, such that stakeholders desire ongoing engagement with 826 Boston.
Benefits include health insurance, 15 days paid time off, and the option to participate in a 403(b) plan and flexible spending account.
Level of Language Proficiency
Preferred, but not required to be proficient in Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, résumé, three professional references, and a one- to two-page professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Volunteer Manager.”
Employees will be required to undergo a criminal offender and sexual offender background check.
826 Boston will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. 826 Boston welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews upon request.