1110 Vermont Avenue NW
The National Park Foundation seeks a dynamic, experienced Director to lead a rapidly-growing planned giving program as well as manage a portfolio of prospects and donors.
The ideal candidate will bring broad experience in planned gift fundraising to the Philanthropy department as well as extensive knowledge in successful strategies to aggressively grow the planned giving program. S/he must work well in a fast-paced work environment. S/he must also have a strong background as a relationship builder with experience motivating staff, working collaboratively with other fundraisers, and communicating complex concepts both internally and externally. The candidate will be a strategic thinker who has developed and implemented large-scale fundraising efforts.
Having just completed the $500 million Centennial Campaign for America’s National Parks, the Foundation seeks to build on this momentum. The new Director will play a key role in growing an already successful program to secure future funding in support of the National Park Service. The mission of the National Park Foundation is to enrich America’s national parks and programs through private support, safeguarding our heritage and inspiring future generations of national park enthusiasts.
WORKING AT NPF
The National Park Foundation, in partnership with the National Park Service, enriches America’s national parks and programs through private support, safeguarding our heritage and inspiring generations of national park enthusiasts.
In 1872 America did something unprecedented; it set aside more than one million acres of wilderness for the benefit and enjoyment of the people. For more than 100 years, citizen involvement and private philanthropy have helped to improve, preserve and protect America’s national parks. Since it was established by Congress in 1967, NPF has sustained this legacy of private philanthropy. Learn more about us at www.nationalparks.orgOpens a New Window..
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Proven success in closing traditional and complex planned gifts, including but not limited to, bequests, gift annuities, remainder trusts, and gifts of real estate.
- Implement short- and long-term planned giving goals and strategies to build upon existing commitments and expand the current donor base pipeline to support the National Park Foundation’s mission.
- Carry and manage a portfolio of planned giving donors and prospects for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Provide expertise in structuring complex gifts and working with colleagues to close new planned gift intentions.
- Manage multi-channel marketing and communications efforts to promote planned giving to prospective donors and help build a robust pipeline of donors and prospects.
- Collaborate with the other members of the Planned and Annual Giving team to develop a strategic, comprehensive approach to generating planned gift support for the Foundation, leveraging donors from both the mid-level and direct response program.
- Oversee effective handling and processing of estate gift administration to ensure appropriate stewardship and closure of realized gifts.
- Manage the internal budget, track all invoices/expenses, provide regular written reports to the Vice President, and manage vendor relationships.
- Direct and oversee stewardship and recognition programs for planned giving donors and ensure effective regular communication and retention.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate should have the following:
- Thorough understanding of current laws and regulations pertaining to fundraising, especially planned gifts.
- Must be knowledgeable of industry trends and best practices for marketing and communicating with gift planning audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining disciplined adherence to program goals.
- Promote a collaborative fundraising culture and strong work ethic.
- Must have strong written, oral, and listening skills with the ability to communicate effectively with donors and staff.
- Ability to maintain professionalism while completing responsibilities in a precise, dedicated, and flexible manner.
- Possess a positive, enthusiastic attitude as well as proven success as a strong, diplomatic mentor.
- Strong moral character and ethical behavior.
- Understanding of word-processing and office software, including, but not limited to, Raiser’s Edge, PG Calc or Crescendo, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience in planned giving fundraising for non-profit organizations.
- Strong affinity for national parks with the ability to serve as a compelling ambassador for the National Park Foundation.
- Campaign experience preferred.
DESCRIPTION OF PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and stoop, and/or kneel. The employee occasionally must push and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision demands required for this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- If you know you are the perfect candidate for this position, we want to hear from you. Please submit your application through the National Park Foundation ADP portal found hereOpens a New Window.. If you experience technical difficulties during the process, you may submit a cover letter, resume and salary history by email to firstname.lastname@example.orgOpens a New Window.. Please indicate “Director, Planned Giving” in the subject line of the e-mail.
National Park Foundation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, who is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you know you are the perfect candidate for this position, we want to hear from you. Please submit your application through the National Park Foundation ADP portal. If you experience technical difficulties during the process, you may submit a cover letter, resume and salary history by email to email@example.com. Please indicate “Director, Planned Giving” in the subject line of the e-mail.