Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
Transition House is a Cambridge, MA based nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization working to prevent and end domestic violence. Transition House provides holistic support services, safe housing options, and education for adults and youth. Reporting to the Director of Housing Services, this position will be responsible for supporting the safety and self efficacy goals of survivors of domestic violence living in emergency shelter, as well as upkeep of the shelter.
- Sustain a positive, trauma-informed residential living environment for Shelter residents of all ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Promote the development of a positive and supportive community at the shelter by supporting individuals and families, interacting with children, promoting and supporting healthy conflict resolution, maintaining a clean environment and creating opportunities for group activities in the house.
- Provide individual advocacy, support and resource information for residents on an as-needed basis.
- Administer and be the point of contact for child-care volunteers for the play-space at the Shelter and administrative office. Work closely with the Children's Advocate in scheduling and orienting the play-space volunteers.
- Develop familiarity with social service and economic assistance resources for survivors of domestic violence in the Cambridge, Boston, Somerville area.
- Answer Transition House’s 24-hour hotline to provide emotional support, referrals and resources.
- Conduct screening and intakes with callers seeking shelter.
- Responsibly uphold Shelter rules, expectations and codes of conduct.
- Address client or facility-related challenges that may arise while on duty.
- Maintain cleanliness, hygiene and usability of the Shelter facility (interior and exterior) while on duty.
- Perform tasks as outlined on staff chore list including but not limited to: laundry, trash disposal, recycling, setting alarm, etc.
- Carry out emergency procedures as necessary.
- Assist in preparing Shelter bedrooms for move in of new clients and support clients during move out.
- Effectively communicate issues (orally and through appropriate documentation) to supervisors and the team to ensure the delivery of quality services to individuals and families.
- Assist Director of Housing Services and other staff as needed.
- Participate in ongoing supervision, training, and group meetings.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- Commitment to social equity and Transition House's mission.
- Experience with crisis intervention
- Experience working with and on behalf of people who are socially marginalized including individuals who are very low income, immigrants, homeless, mentally ill, have substance addictions, or are victims of domestic violence
- Understands the impact of chronic trauma on adults and children.
- Demonstrated skill as a strong communicator, collaborator, team player; flexible, well organized, punctual and skilled at multitasking/prioritizing.
- Committed to upholding the highest standards of accountability, professionalism and excellence in performing role.
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, ages, traditions, customs and personalities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bilingual capacity a strong plus.
- High level of proficiency with the Internet and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to climb stairs frequently, bend, and lift items up to 30 pounds.
- Must agree to a criminal background check (CORI) as a condition of hire.
Transition House values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Bilingual/bicultural people, GLBTQI people, persons of color, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Key words: social service, social justice, advocacy, trauma, intervention, violence prevention, Boston, Cambridge
Transition House offers generous paid time off; life and disability insurance; health and dental benefits; and a 401K plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English required. Fluency in another language/s is a plus. Please indicate any languages you speak in your resume.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume as a .doc or .pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.