Bushwick United provides a high quality, preschool program and a family-focused series of programs and workshops. Our main goal is to provide children with a “head start” in their formative years of development and help prepare them for their future years of schooling.
Our Head Start and daycare programs are currently delivered through NYC’s EarlyLearn and Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) program. Through our 8 sites we serve over 650 students and families.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates to join our dedicated Education Team.
Responsibilities:The Early Childhood Education Director is responsible for the following:
Curriculum and Instruction
- Promote high-quality teaching and learning in the classroom through full implementation of CA Early Childhood curriculum, assessment, policies/procedures and tools that lead to children’s school readiness.
- Develop and maintain a high-quality, safe and nurturing environment in which children develop trusting and accepting relationships with adults and peers that foster growth and development.
- Execute a developmentally appropriate and integrated curriculum which provides opportunities for children’s meaningful exploration.
- Work with teachers to implement the child assessment system reliably, including understanding child outcomes data and using them to plan and individualize.
- Leadership & Governance
- Provide leadership and supervision for all teaching staff. Directly supervise Lead Teacher’s, Assistant Teacher’s and Teacher’s Aide’s. Leadership may be provided through the following: supporting teachers with lesson plans and curriculum implementation, scheduling in-service training, providing staff development workshops and holding parent meetings related to educational supports.
- Observe, coach and work with teachers to implement program curriculum with fidelity.
- Meet regularly with staff and parents.
- Record Maintenance, Screening and Assessment
- Monitor developmental screens and ensure all are completed within 45 days of a child’s first day of service with the program.
- Monitor child observations through an on-line database.
- Professional Development
- Collaborate with the Educational Director Team in planning, coordinating, and implementing a wide range of diverse, applicable, and creative professional development opportunities for all staff.
- Participate in offered trainings, workshops, in-service days, and/or all-staff conferences.
- Maintain certification requirements and proof of attendance in professional activities.
- Support the growth of the center including participating in program-wide goal setting and individual and program self-assessment.
- Health and Safety
- Adhere to all state and city licensing requirements, teacher child/ratios, and CPR/first aid certification.
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment for children, families and staff.
- Must have at least one of the following New York State Teaching Certifications: Early Childhood (Birth - Grade 2); Nursery, Kindergarten and Grades 1-6; Prekindergarten - Grade 6 certification; or Students with Disabilities (Birth - Grade 2); if the Certification is Initial and not Permanent, a Study Plan will be set-up at point of hire with a timeline towards obtaining Permanent Certification
- BA required, Master’s preferred. Degree(s) must be in a specific field of Education (Early Childhood, Elementary, Special Education, etc.)
- Must have 2-5 years of teaching experience
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred
- Bilingual preferred
- Experience working with infants, toddlers, preschoolers and children with Special Needs
- Strong administrative skills are required
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Commitment to professional development for themselves and their staff
- Pass all background clearances
Minimum Education Required