1129 20th Street NW
The Communications Manager will join a growing, fun, and creative communications team that works relentlessly to tell the story of how American development and diplomacy builds a better, safer world. The manager will be a forward-thinking communications professional with the skills to advance our organization’s agenda, increase the USGLC’s message and visibility, and expand our constituency through active engagement with our community, our membership and the media.
The right candidate will have excellent communication skills, a broad media background, and a proven track record in producing convincing written materials in a variety of voices. This position on the Communications team will work across departments to produce content on deadline while ensuring accuracy and maintaining consistency in style. A successful candidate for this position is an accomplished writer with experience working in government, non-profits, journalism, or related fields. Knowledge of international affairs is essential; experience working in this area is a significant plus. The Communications Manager will report to the Deputy Communications Director and reside in Washington, D.C.
- Create original messaging materials. Work with the communications team to develop compelling, timely and customized materials for media and content for a variety of audiences in Washington and across the United States.
- Write and edit external communications. Draft and edit media releases, media advisories, talking points, op-eds and blogs for theme-based and event-driven opportunities.
- Drive press outreach strategy. Implement a strategy for outreach to national and local media through news releases, media advisories and social media to promote USGLC activities.
- Produce collateral materials. Draft and edit issue briefs, one-pagers, fact sheets, and publications.
- Compile daily news brief. Identify and compile relevant news articles for the organization’s daily news clips.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in media or communications with a broad portfolio of work.
- Experience in writing, editing, and managing the distribution of content for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability in creating quality materials in multiple formats under time pressure, and handle multiple projects and deadlines concurrently.
- Highly versatile and able to pivot from writing news releases to nuanced op-eds on complicated public policy topics.
- Experience with media monitoring and list building tools; knowledge of Meltwater, TV Eyes, Cision, or Critical Mention a plus.
- Strong collaboration skills; experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- A flexible team player who shares responsibility and credit.
- Campaign or political experience is desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, political science or related field.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave, and federal holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email cover letter, resume and three writing samples to email@example.com. Please reference “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.