120 Wall Street
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion-based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
AFS-USA manages a number of U.S. government sponsored programs which provide scholarships for adolescents to participate in international exchange programs. The Sponsored Programs department at AFS focuses on maintaining relationships with the funder (U.S. Department of State) and incorporating the sponsored programs into overall AFS programming.
Primary duties include carrying out program requirements, conducting orientations, communicating with domestic and international departure, and monitoring/reporting participant adjustment and compliance issues while on program. The NSLI-Y Program Coordinator is also tasked with implementing program-focused projects and making recommendations to streamline program processes. The Program Coordinator will work closely with other staff in the Sponsored Programs Department, while reporting to the OSP Manager.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Key functions):
- Conduct general customer service activities responding to questions from external stakeholders.
- Maintain data integrity for applicant files.
- Coordinate the preparation and completion of approximately 1,500 student interviews throughout the U.S. by training and supervising a team of interview coordinators and AFS volunteers.
- Work with relevant staff/partners in the production and distribution of program-specific materials for use in PR/Marketing and social media plan.
- Coordinate logistics and deliver content for virtual and in-person events both in preparation stages and on-site logistics for multiple orientation events.
- Prepare work plans and process documents to meet program requirements and determine department/staff involvement and resources needed, including finalist and alternate selection and communication.
- Monitor pre-departure program-specific training materials and advise finalists and their families on pre-departure preparation and realities of studying abroad.
- Assist with project/program start-up, implementation and evaluation.
- Maintain program website and related social media platforms.
- Assist with both cross-departmental and external communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Proven success implementing and leading complex projects.
- Ability to build and maintain cooperative relationships with stakeholders, including staff, returnees, vendors, funders and international partners.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with organizations and resources in general international education, youth development and technology.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Internet research, website navigation, database utilization and general IT skills for working on annual application background development, publishing website stories
- Experience working in a volunteer-based organization.
- Ability to work independently and with multiple deadlines as well as in a team environment
- Ability to prioritize projects and work closely with multiple staff across departmental lines.
- Demonstrated initiative and critical thinking
- BA/BS degree in Education, International Education, International Relations, Business Communications or a related field
- Superior organizational skills
- IT experience/interest, including familiarity with database utilization, website management
- At least 3-5 years of experience in the field of international youth programs
- At least 3-5 years of project management experience
- Strong communication skills and service-oriented work style
AFS-USA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. AFS-USA prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation, including behavior which targets an individual or group based on perceived or actual characteristics, such as but not limited to: race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, familial status, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, alienage, citizenship status, caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offense or stalking, unemployment status, status as a certified medical marijuana patient or any other legally protected classification.
Medical, Dental, HRA, FSA, Retirement Plan, Paid Holiday Days, Vacation Days, Floating Holidays, and more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.