Job Overview: Howard EcoWorks empowers communities and diverse workforces to respect and restore our natural systems for future generations. The Environmental Business Development Director develops and oversees Howard EcoWorks’ growing social enterprise and fee-for-service lines of business including: site consultation, design (EcoDesign), construction (EcoBuild), maintenance, EcoCrew and the Seeds of Change nursery. The Environmental Business Development Director develops projects and facilitates implementation with EcoWorks field team and green jobs programs. The Environmental Business Development Director, in coordination with other staff, ensures that projects are implemented according to the specifications of the respective designs, fall within budget, and meet or exceed quality targets. The Environmental Business Development Director ensures efficiencies and cross-promotion of all fee-for-service lines of business to support achievement of budget goals associated with the work, estimated at $321,000 for FY21. The Environmental Business Development Director supports the development of a new line of business for EcoWorks aimed at woodland services, which would include project development, site consultations and woodland areas management. The Environmental Business Development Director embraces end goals and EcoWorks mission for workforce development and environmental sustainability in all aspects of the job.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Work with landowners, homeowner associations, nonprofits, and government agencies to develop and implement water quality improvement, habitat restoration, invasive species management, stormwater management and maintenance projects.
- Conduct, and oversee consultations and site assessments, to determine parameters, specifications and pricing of projects.
- Develop and support the development of customer project proposals and follow through to contract completion.
- Facilitate and coordinate other aspects of project planning and implementation for crews in coordination with Landscape Designer, Field Operations Manager and Nursery Manager; ensure projects are implemented professionally, in accordance with the design specifications, budgets, and quality targets; in all cases, customer satisfaction is paramount.
- Assess customer satisfaction with services rendered and implement adjustments accordingly.
- Track income and expense generated from each line of business and report quarterly. Institute measures to proactively keep the business on track to meet or exceed targets.
- Foster external industry relationships to increase the overall capacity and success of EcoWorks to achieve its mission. Industry relationships shall include those in domains such as nursery management, landscape design, environmental restoration construction and include various complementary non-profit organizations, community colleges, government, universities, vendors, private entities, and others.
- Monitors and supports attainment of organization’s annual work plan and objectives.
- Provide and support environmental industry training opportunities for staff, crew and the general public, as needed.
- B.S. in environmental management or related degree.
- 3-5 years horticultural, landscape design / management or related experience, including construction oversight of design plans and projects
- 3-5 years project management experience
- Knowledge of and experience with Mid-Atlantic local native and invasive plants, shrubs, trees, ecology and habitats
- Familiarity with stormwater best management practices (BMP) and knowledge of MS4 permit requirements
- Self-starter, motivated and professional
- Demonstrated customer management experience
- Passion and ability to engage, coordinate, and educate the community and work crews on environmental topics and hands-on techniques in the field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation ability
- Excellent leadership, collaboration and team skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and respond to internal and external stakeholders in a timely manner
- Organized with attention to detail
- Driver’s license and own transportation (mileage reimbursed at current IRS rate)
- Business administration and sales experience
- Entrepreneur – self-starter
- Advanced project and budget management experience
- Certification as Chesapeake Bay Landscaping Professional Level I and II
- Experience with ArcGIS for project tracking
- Other Natural Resource certifications and licenses as applicable