Full Time Contract
91 Larkspur St.
Canal Alliance is seeking an ESL Teacher to provide intensive English classes to English language learners, and to ensure that students gain the skills necessary to advance to the next level. The ESL Teacher reports to the ESL Manager. A successful candidate will be a passionate believer in the power of education to improve the lives of immigrants and their families. Candidates should have the ability to work Mondays-Thursday nights from 8-10pm.
About the Organization
For more than three decades Canal Alliance has been the leading service provider and community advocate for Marin's low-income, Spanish speaking immigrants. Canal Alliance helps vulnerable members of this target population acquire the tools they need to thrive.
The Canal Alliance ESL program is designed to support adult English language learners in their journey to achieve their dreams. We provide weekday and weekend classes with flexible hours that range from beginning level to advanced intermediate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment, with high expectations for students
- Prepare and deliver lesson plans in line with program goals, philosophy, and curriculum
- Build positive and respectful relationships with students
- Communicate consistently and assist in identifying needs of students
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance
- Monitor student progress
- Modify instructional program of students based on student data
- Participate in one professional development session each semester
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.
- Ability to provide effective and engaging ESL instruction
· Knowledge and understanding of a variety of assessment tools
- Ability to track and analyze data to monitor progress towards milestones
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with students, staff and volunteers
- Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Competency using tablet notebooks for attendance purposes
· Ability to work with people of varied cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Bilingualism in English/Spanish preferred
Education and Experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Minimum 1 year adult ESL teaching experience
· Experience working with low-income and/or immigrant populations
· Master’s Degree in TESOL or TESOL certification preferred
This is a contract position without benefits.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect.
Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only electronic applications will be accepted. (Keep it green!) Please indicate “ESL Teacher – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your email.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish/English (required)
Minimum Education Required