637 Park Avenue
- Pre-screen students who have not used social services prior to meeting with Social Worker. Assess situation. Complete initial student profile and budget for use by Social Worker.
- Stay abreast of social services available to students in the city. Communicate information to staff and students as appropriate.
- Develop strong working relationship and contact list with frequently used city agencies. Represent MLC in a professional manner, advocating for student services when appropriate.
- Assist and advocate for students by attending appointments to hospital, doctor or clinic, court, child’s school, etc.
- Primary job counselor. This includes assisting students in searching for jobs, assisting with filling out job applications, resumes and/ or interviews, etc.
- Primary immigration counselor. Assist students and their families with immigration needs, questions, applications, interview, etc.
- Primary legal counselor. Assist students with referrals to appropriate lawyers.
- Primary finance counselor. Assisting students with banking and credit issues. Referring to appropriate support organizations.
- Primary housing counselor. Assisting students with rent, landlord, purchasing of houses, etc.
- Conduct home visits as requested by Social Worker/President.
- Maintain social services literature rack and boards. Ensure information is current, organized and neatly displayed. Assist students in interpreting information as necessary.
- Refer students requesting college counseling to College & Career Counselor/Program Facilitator. Act as back-up to Counselor when requested.
- Receives daily supervision from Social Worker. Maintains regular communication with Social Worker and College & Career Counselor/Program Facilitator regarding work activities.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings
- Participate in professional staff development activities
- Dress appropriately
- Be punctual for all meetings, work and classroom assignments
- Work in a collaborative style; supportive of all areas of the Center
- Submit weekly reports to Supervisor
- Assist President in any additional work as needed
- BA/BS in Human Services (or similar) or Associates Degree and three years human service experience required.
- Experience in the provision of Social Services.
- Highly motivated, creative with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to provide comprehensive, intensive services to those most in need, including acting as a strong advocate.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to work with a group or independently.
- Must have valid driver's license and access to own reliable transportation with proof of insurance.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish and English – Strong oral and written skills in both languages essential.
Medical, Dental, Disability, Paid Vacations, Sick and Personal time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter to Jeanette Lizondro at email@example.com