Housing Up is a 501(c)(3) that builds thriving communities in Washington, DC by developing affordable housing and offering comprehensive support services to homeless and low-income families. Housing Up was founded in 1990 as a homeless services organization serving 13 families. After 29 years in operation, Housing Up now serves more than 700 low-income families through a variety of housing programs and owns/operates 372 units of affordable housing. Housing Up's headquarters are in the Brightwood (Ward 4) neighborhood of Northwest DC.
Under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Senior Accountant will serve as the lead Financial & Accounting Associate with respect to the implementation, preparation, accuracy and oversight of Housing Up’s financial reporting and the reporting for all of its controlled affiliates
Accounting & Operational Management
• Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
• Prepare reconciliations and supporting schedules for monthly and annual close.
• Prepare supporting schedules for annual audit.
• Assist in the annual budgeting process.
• Prepare allocations of payroll and overhead costs to project/program, and grants; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
• Update and monitor cash flow forecasting.
• Track the performance of invested assets and ensure that investment activity is properly recorded in the general ledger.
• Ensure that all financial transactions are accounted for in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Ensure full integration of data with all financial systems throughout the organization.
• Maintain compliance with all federal, state, local and private reporting requirements, including federal and state information tax returns, federal and state payroll tax returns, sales and property tax returns and other returns pertaining to charitable organizations and solicitations.
• Keep COO abreast of status of workflow
• Carry out an open-book style of financial management by sharing and training others on basic and technical accounting issues.
• Support the COO in reporting to the board’s audit and finance committees.
• Work with program directors and staff and senior leadership to establish finance and administrative systems to support organization operations.
• Work with Human Resources to communicate changes and ensure that client payroll processing is accurate and timely.
Finance/Accounting Team Support
• Ensure that the portion of the government contract budgets and other organizational budgets under his/her guidance are adhered to the best of his/her abilities.
• Represent the position of the Accounting Team on appropriate cross-functional team(s) throughout Housing Up.
• Perform special projects as needed and/or requested.
• Participate in learning opportunities to enhance individual, team, and organizational performance.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or related discipline.
• Proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
• 3+ years experience in accounts payable processing.
• Familiarity with IRS procedures for 1099 and 1098 filing.
• 2-3 years experience with QuickBooks, Peachtree, RealPage, Boston Post or similar finance software.
• Able to perform in a team-oriented environment.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, calculators, adding machines, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
• This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required.
• This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
• Advanced math skills needed to calculate formulas, tax payments, credits, discounts, commissions, etc.
• Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$65k - $70k, commensurate with work experience and education.
Housing Up offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave, and commuter benefits.
Housing Up is a 501(c)(3) that builds thriving communities in Washington, DC by developing affordable housing and offering comprehensive support services to homeless and low-income families. Housing Up was founded in 1990 as a homeless…