The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) works in 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization, by providing health care and immunizations, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF's work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States. Together, we are working toward the day when no children die from preventable causes and every child has a safe and healthy childhood. For more information, visit www.unicefusa.org.
Associate, Public Relations
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Public Relations, the Public Relations Associate will work with the Public Relations department to support both organizational needs and public relations activities to help expand awareness and support for UNICEF’s mission, programs and priorities. Duties will include overall support for the public relations team, drafting materials for events and campaigns, coordinating interviews, leading internally and with vendors on campaigns, pitching to media and more. Duties will also include some support in daily administrative tasks and media reporting.
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
- Drafting, editing, routing and distributing select communications and press materials – including social media language - in addition to compiling and consolidating presentations, background and briefing materials and facilitating interdepartmental approvals as needed
- Updating of facts, figures and talking points for key issue areas
- Building and updating press lists and media opportunity lists while regularly pitching media outlets
- Assisting in coordination of event, campaign and thought leadership materials for vendors and press
- Arranging media briefings, scheduling and staffing interviews for UNICEF USA spokespeople
- Support thought leadership strategy for organizational leaders – developing ideas for organizational participation, supporting submissions, etc.
- Performing other duties and assisting in departmental activities as required
Advocacy, Humanitarian Issues & Crisis Communications
- Co-managing organization’s media relations efforts around humanitarian issues and emergencies; keeping other UNICEF USA staff members informed of new developments
- Closely watching media landscape around priority issues and humanitarian emergencies, providing guidance on how to position and pitch key topics for U.S. readers
- Working closely with UNICEF’s Division of Communications and Private Fundraising Partnerships to align on messaging, shared goals, media strategy, crisis communications, and other matters as needed
- Reviewing UNICEF reports and stories, pulling narratives for media outreach and translating materials for external communications
- Supporting communications around crises, controversial situations and negative press reports, co-leading the development of quick-lines for donor, partner & press inquiries on “sensitive” topics, and devising strategies for minimizing reputational risk
- Alerting senior staff to emerging issues being covered in the media that would affect UNICEF or UNICEF USA and advising on media strategies and responses
Campaign Focused Communications and Partner Support
- Creating and implementing media strategy, messaging and outreach efforts in support of key UNICEF USA and UNICEF moments/campaigns, coordinating with agencies as needed
- Support Global Cause partnerships to implement communications plans and activities, including events, press releases, key messages, and support of media outreach efforts, liaising with DOC/PFP as needed
- Working to develop and implement Diaspora Communications plan, in coordination with divisional colleagues and Global Cause Partnership stakeholders
Engagement (UNICEF clubs, Fellows etc.)
- Update media training/guidance document for engagement teams; develop and lead media training sessions
- Support engagement groups communications plans and activities, providing ongoing media counsel to fellows and CAT media leads, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years related communications experience
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector desirable and experience in the public relations or a marketing/communications field a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be a team player with strong attention to detail
- Expertise in Microsoft Outlook- 2010, Word and Excel, with the ability to learn new applications quickly
- Ability to work under deadline with flexibility, tact, good judgment, discretion, and take initiative
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes some evening commitments
- Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
Must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition, UNICEF USA offers a comprehensive benefits package.
UNICEF USA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply on our website.