Details: competitive salary and an excellent package of health and other employee benefits
1400 Van Buren Street Northeast
The Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters
Director of Development
Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness
Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness (NMW) seeks to hire a Development Director for
the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters (The Campaign). The Campaign is a local, state,
and national Campaign to prevent sulfide-ore mining in the watershed of the Boundary
Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
The Campaign and NMW is seeking a Development Director to take a leadership role in helping
NMW achieve its mission. NMW and The Campaign offer a highly challenging and intellectually
engaging environment, an opportunity to meet and interact with thought leaders in multiple
disciplines and the chance to be part of a great team of people who are dedicated to protecting
the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
The Development Director will work directly with the National Campaign Manager, senior staff,
board members and outside consultants to:
1) Design and execute a plan to meet a yearly fund raising goal of $2 Million;
2) Develop a 1-2 year plan and vision for growing the fundraising operation to sustain an
increased nation-wide Campaign operation;
3) Work closely with the Communications Director and other key staff to plan and execute
communication focused on fundraising and cultivating funder support.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participate in senior-level meetings and planning sessions on the direction and priorities
of the organization
• Take the lead on all development/fundraising related activities
• Grow and manage a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, solicitation,
and stewardship of major donors
• Manage your own major donor portfolio and solicit major gifts
• Assist National Campaign Chair, Executive Director, and Deputy Campaign Manager with
managing their donor portfolios
• Organize multiple fundraising events each year, including two high-ticket events in the
twin cities and Ely, several events with lower ticket prices throughout the year, and
regular donor stewardship events
• Plan, implement, and grow a successful direct mail program
• Plan, implement, and grow a successful digital fundraising program, including emails,
texting, social media, etc.
• Write supporter communications and appeals, including mailings, emails, etc.
• Make and implement a plan to hit fundraising goals for Give to the Max Day
• Help grow our business relationships, especially in regards to fundraising
• Oversee the organization’s relationships with foundations, including identifying, tracking
and writing grant proposals and funding reports
• Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
• Provide regular reports analyzing progress toward yearly goals
• Maintain gift recognition and acknowledgement programs
• Assist with fundraising for Boundary Waters Trust (Sportsmen for the Boundary Waters)
and Boundary Waters Action Fund (our c4 branch)
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
• Minimum of 3-4 years experience in a combination of wilderness,
environmental, political, governmental, and/or non-profit development and/or
fundraising or other relevant Development/Fundraising background
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience in public lands, conservation, and/or political campaigns in a management or
• Experience devising and implementing strategic and effective use of online
communication (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, e-newsletters, etc.)
• Experience carrying out and overseeing the production of development
products (email, direct mail, etc.)
• Strong writing skills and experience writing fundraising appeals and other donor
• Demonstrated skill in proactively building relationships with major donors
• Experience soliciting major gifts of at least $10,000+
• Experience developing and managing budgets for fundraising activities
• Highly organized and attentive to detail
• Team leadership skills
• Ability to work independently
• Willingness and ability to travel
• Passion for protecting the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
• Ambitious and takes initiative; committed to getting the job done
• Compensation for the Development Director includes a competitive salary and an
excellent package of health and other employee benefits.
• Position will be located in Minneapolis, MN with potential regional or national travel.
• The Development Director position is a full time salaried position with the Northeastern
Minnesotans for Wilderness an IRS recognized 501c3 organization.
Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness is a nonprofit organization whose mission is
to protect the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Quetico-Superior
ecosystem. Northeastern Minnesotans for Wilderness and all members of the
Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters will be committed to equal opportunity in
employment. All qualified persons are invited to apply.
To Apply: Send resume, writing sample and cover letter to
email@example.com, subject line: NMW – Development Director.
Minimum Education Required