Mastery Schools of Camden seeks to organize a deep and broad base of parents, schools and community partners committed to organizing for high-quality schools for every family and to create positive change in communities. A Parent and Community Organizer must have excellent relationship building skills, ability to think and act strategically, and passion to fight for excellent education for all. The ideal candidate knows the culture and politics of Camden, NJ; is bilingual in Spanish and English; has successfully organized in diverse communities; is passionate about education and justice; and has a good sense of humor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build relationships with parents, school and community leaders. This includes initiating and sustaining a robust and regular schedule of one on one meetings, home visits, and phone calls.
- Identify, organize and mobilize parent, school, and community leaders to take action on a wide range of issues, including, expanding Mastery’s ability to create more high-quality schools, local school and neighborhood issues, and city and state-wide policy issues.
- Start new or expand existing Parent Action Teams able to engage in local and city-wide campaigns.
- Develop a political and power analysis of schools, neighborhoods and issues through research and relationships that inform solid strategic planning.
- Approach new challenges with creativity and flexibility with a focus on measurable outcomes.
- Manage seasonal or part-time outreach staff to build relationships through door-to-door home visits, phone calls, sign-on campaigns, or other outreach efforts with parents, businesses, community groups and houses of worship
- Work collaboratively with team and colleagues
- Report weekly on individual meetings, actions, leadership development and strategy.
- Keep up-to-date records on all work.
- Participate in night and weekend meetings and events
- Must have a vehicle or the ability to travel across neighborhoods efficiently.
- Ability to work well in a team and enhance cooperative working relationships
- Curiosity in people’s stories and ability to initiate and build relationship with a wide and diverse range of people
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated capacity to work with urban families
- Knowledge of public education, charter schools, and political landscape highly desirable but not required
- Commitment to educational equity and excellence for all students
- Fluent in speaking Spanish is required, fluency in writing Spanish is preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Three to five years professional experience in organizing, politics, education, business development, social services or relevant field.
- Postsecondary degree required.
- Experience with grassroots field organizing, including experience in door-to-door canvassing, political or issues campaigns, or leading a field organizing team a plus.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural competency, and self-awareness with the ability to reflect and adapt to diverse environments
- Experience working with families from diverse ethnic and class backgrounds
- Team player who is a self-motivated "go-getter" with the ability to lead and motivate others
- Proficient with Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel)
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solver
- Outstanding creative and strategic thinker
- Superb at building relationships
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to four (4) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing.
We over a rich benefits package that includes a competitive salary, comprehensive medical package, a matched 403B & more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online at https://masterycharter.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=675 ; reach out to as at email@example.com with any questions!