- Reports to: Vice President, Health Policy
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Health
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Public Health Policy. This position will lead the Health team’s new public health project. The Director will work with other experts on American Progress’ Health team to develop and advance bold solutions to tackle health disparities through a social determinants of health framework.
The COVID-19 pandemic has put a spotlight on the extent to which environmental, nonmedical factors—including water quality, air quality, and pollution—affect a person’s health, as well as how systemic racism has left communities of color extraordinarily vulnerable to these hazards. Given these and other intersecting, systemic challenges, the Director of Public Health Policy will also work closely with American Progress’ energy and environment; disability justice; poverty; race, ethnicity, and equity; and economic policy experts to think strategically about the connections between public health needs and other policy areas. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of how systemic racism and environmental health burdens are structural public health issues.
- Lead in developing and executing American Progress’ priorities on public health.
- Develop and execute a robust research agenda to examine health disparities and support policies to improve public health.
- Write original reports, issue briefs, and outside publications, including in peer-reviewed journals.
- Work with key partners to develop and implement legislative and political strategies at the state and federal levels.
- Represent American Progress in coalitions of other organizations focused on improving the nation’s public health.
- Liaise with members of Congress and Capitol Hill staff to understand and support positive policy ideas or oppose harmful policy changes.
- Represent American Progress as a spokesperson in all forms of media as necessary to promote the team’s public health policy agenda.
- Fundraise to expand the project’s reach and support new and developing initiatives.
- Plan and implement public and private events, meetings, summits, conferences, and other special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least eight years of relevant experience in research or policy development.
- Experience working with coalitions and a breadth of existing relationships in the public health space.
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and communications skills.
- Experience in seeking funding or grant writing is a plus.
- Capitol Hill or executive branch experience is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.