Kaufman Music Center
129 W. 67th Street
Kaufman Music Center (www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org) is one of New York City's most vibrant cultural organizations, combining the finest in music education for all ages with world-class performances in Merkin Hall. Founded in 1952 as a community school for pre-conservatory music training, today's Kaufman Music Center provides entertainment, education and inspiration for more than 75,000 New Yorkers every year. Kaufman Music Center is made up of four unique divisions: Merkin Hall is renowned for its innovative and diverse programming spanning classical, new music, jazz, popular music and Broadway as well as for its perfect acoustics; Lucy Moses School, New York’s largest community arts school, offers classes in music, dance and theater for all ages, backgrounds and skill levels; Special Music School is the only K-12 public school in New York for musically gifted children—and a leading music education innovator; Face the Music is the country's first youth ensemble dedicated to studying and performing music by living composers.
KMC is seeking an entrepreneurial professional to lead its awareness-raising brand strategy and move individuals to register as students, buy tickets, rent the Merkin Hall, join Face the Music, donate and volunteer.
The Director leads the Marketing and Communications Team to achieve business and marketing goals for all KMC-wide marketing and communications efforts. The Team is responsible for marketing, advertising, media relations, electronic/print communications, design, publications, marketing analytics and digital marketing, including email and social media, and ticketing operations. The Team is comprised of the Director, 4.5 marketing/communications/Box Office positions, plus part-time Box Office staff.
Serving as a key member of the KMC Executive Team, the Director must be passionate about KMC’s mission, and about music education and performance in the nonprofit setting; knowledgeable about the current environment in which KMC operates; and able to effectively communicate the ways in which KMC is differentiated from other, similar-sounding organizations.
This is a position for a creative and analytical thinker able to bring fresh ideas to all areas of KMC’s communications and marketing; a team player who will partner cross-functionally and work effectively with various levels of the organization; and a true professional who is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
The KMC culture is ideal for someone who is nimble, who pays close attention to detail, who possesses strong relationship management skills, and whose data-driven analyses can result in having an influential voice at the table. KMC seeks a confident decision maker with excellent presence and a self-starter with high energy/drive, a relentlessly positive attitude and a results oriented approach.
- Oversee the Marketing/Communications/Head of Box Office team and external consultants, providing leadership, management, and tactical support, and ensuring a robust and highly functioning department that serves the needs and goals of the organization.
- Partner with Development, Administration, and Program teams to ensure brand and marketing integration across the organization, ensuring consistency and adherence to standards.
- Create, implement, track and report marketing campaigns for internal partners aimed at raising awareness, engagement, retention and revenue.
- Establish the annual Marketing Budget revenue targets and related expenses, tying expenditures to results, with an emphasis on initiatives that result in a realistically positive ROI.
- Work with the Communications Director to set annual public relations, website and social priorities and themes.
- Develop and execute an internal communications plan to engage the entire staff to adopt roles as educated and engaged spokespeople for the Center aimed at awareness raising and cross-pollination.
- Work with the Box Office Administrator to ensure that the needs of patrons, renters and internal partners are met and that ticketing information is effectively managed in the KMC’s CRM Tessitura.
- Develop and articulate the needed visuals and copy for each campaign. This includes copywriting, design, content creation and photography.
- Manage KMC’s social media channels and website.
- Building coalitions with key stakeholders such as Trustees, Board Members, supporters, patrons and staff.
- Proactively identify opportunities to meet goals with limited resources and budgets in a nonprofit environment
- Scan the corporate sponsorship environment and develop an appropriate corporate sponsorship program, working with Development to explore opportunities.
- Work with the Marketing Team to evaluate and enhance the website for SEO with a goal of driving qualified traffic that leads to conversion; maximize Google Analytics for engagement, and employ digital advertising tools (such Google Grant and retargeting) to grow audiences.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team to create a media strategy and management of the external public relations agency to achieve desired media coverage.
- Review, maintain, and improve tracking systems to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of all the KMC’s marketing activities, to drive insights and better decision-making.
Desired Skills & Experience
- 5- 10 years in a senior communications position within a cultural, music, or performing arts organization or similar entity.
- Experienced and skilled in leading, motivating and managing a team.
- Up to the minute knowledge of social media strategies and implementation, as well as deep experience in traditional marketing
- Proven effectiveness in using Digital Marketing and Social Media. Experience in designing marketing plans that fully leverage new technologies.
- KMC uses three CRMs: Tessitura, Studio School Pro and Ungerboeck. Knowledge of Tessitura a big plus.
- Proven ability to connect, inspire, and persuade internal and external stakeholders
- Attention to detail; ability to maintain focus and measure short and long term progress.
- Extensive hands-on experience writing copy (writing samples are required), producing video/slideshows, and establishing design direction
- Proven skills in brand strategy execution.
- Project management experience with the ability to lead and the willingness to support all levels of the process
- Experienced in managing outside resources to deliver meaningful results on-time and on budget
- BA degree required; advanced degree preferred
Salary will be commensurate with experience and the aspirations of this new position. Competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Applicants should communicate through firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send CV, cover note and salary history. Please place the following in the subject line of your email: Director of Marketing.
Kaufman Music Center is an equal opportunity employer.