Bi Lingual Paralegal for our Disability Advocacy Program - White Plains, NY Office
- Job posted by Legal Services of the Hudson Valley
For more than 50 years, Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has been providing free, high-quality legal counsel in civil matters when basic human needs are at stake including: eviction and foreclosure prevention, domestic violence, disability, elder law, healthcare, consumer fraud and more. Our services support almost 600,000 poor and low-income families and individuals who cannot afford an attorney in our seven-county service area. With the gap separating those who can and cannot afford legal representation widening each day, we work to ensure that everyone has equal access to justice, regardless of their ability to pay. As the only provider of comprehensive civil legal services in the lower and mid-Hudson Valley (Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange, Ulster and Sullivan), LSHV is proud to have handled almost 15,000 cases impacting more than 34,000 household members including 13,000 children last year. LSHV has nine offices, a staff of 135, including 80 attorneys and 27 paralegals.
Legal Services of the Hudson Valley (LSHV) has an opening for a paralegal who would work specifically for the Disability Advocacy Program (DAP) in Westchester County. This position is a support position to staff attorneys representing clients throughout in Westchester County and travel may be required. The paralegal may be asked to support other units. Substantial preference will be given to candidates who are fluent in Spanish and English.
The duties include screening, intake, provision of technical, legal, investigative and research support, case handling of SSI applications and assistance in obtaining information, including medical records. The person will also provide back up for our general paralegals with other office responsibilities as needed, including providing backup for English speaking attorneys staffing our hotline.
The person hired will also be expected to adhere to program and case handling standards, funder requirements, and the highest professional standards.
· Associate’s degree or certification as a paralegal;
· Experience and competency with Microsoft Office environment (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.) and ability to input data efficiently into a database;
· Must be comfortable using new technology programs;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· A driver’s license and the ability to gain access to a car for travel in Westchester County as needed
· Bachelor’s degree
· Bi-lingual – Spanish & English;
· Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar program;
· Experience obtaining medical records.
Salary: Competitive union scale, with excellent benefits.
Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 403(b), Pension Plan
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi Lingual - English/Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply at our career center by following this link, and include a cover letter describing how you will draw on your skills and experience to advance LSHV’s mission: