Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service.
The High Level
The Program Manager (PM) is part of a growing team of leaders rallied together to eradicate the early literacy crisis. The PM’s main role is to lead, develop and mobilize a team of AmeriCorps members and volunteers to deliver high quality, effective one-on-one instruction to our students. Reporting directly to the Deputy Program Director, the PM manages all aspects of program quality, delivery and implementation in up to six schools. The PM directs the day-to-day operations of our reading centers, manages internal and external relationships, leads and supports a team of six emerging professionals, coaches and supports volunteers, drives processes and strategies to maximize literacy development in our students, and uses data to drive decision-making and progress. The Program Manager is an inspiring team leader, is savvy at the art of managing people and projects, is goal-oriented and is excited by both strategic and on-the-ground work.
What you’ll do:
- Recruit, hire, coach, manage and train a team of up to six Reading Partners Site Coordinators toward successful program implementation across up to six schools.
- Achieve a rating of at least 95% satisfaction from tutors, teachers and principal partners
- Retain 90% of AmeriCorps members through term of service
- Manage all aspects of program implementation including serving as a local literacy program expert, conducting student data analysis and action planning, fostering school relationships, and directly managing AmeriCorps members.
- Achieve ambitious enrollment of 310 students on the Peninsula
- Achieve 75% enrollment of students by December
- Support 85% K-2 students in mastering their grade level skills
- Support 75% of 3-4 grade students in increasing their percentile rank
- Other duties as needed.
How you’ll do it:
Leadership & Management:
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in coaching, inspiring, and developing emerging professionals toward goals. Demonstrate an ability to provide clear guidance and goals, delegate, and provide growth opportunities while supporting progress along the way. Be able to recruit, hire, onboard, and deliver high-quality training to AmeriCorps members. Provide on-site support to AmeriCorps members and tutors at school sites weekly. Support our national network of Reading Partners Program Managers through biweekly calls, best practice sharing, etc.
Relationship Development & Communication:
- Cultivate strong internal relationships with peers, direct reports, and managers. Possess a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively as an ambassador of Reading Partners externally, specifically with school leaders and staff. Be able to set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate an ability to break down complex topics for a variety of audiences. Employ excellent written communication skills.
- Lead implementation of our organization’s assessment and curriculum and serve as a local subject matter expert on Reading Partners’ curriculum. Ensure high fidelity of the Reading Partners model at all school sites. Possess a high level of knowledge and competency in literacy strategies and behavior management. Demonstrate an ability to assess student performance using observations, to analyze data, and to create subsequent strategies aimed at increasing student achievement. Analyze data and create action plans to improve student results.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively manage time, balance multiple competing priorities at once, and, above all, and remain adaptable, flexible, and positive while navigating challenges. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively act to address them. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Show an ability to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and be able to drill down to smaller details and connect the dots.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have 3+ years working with elementary-aged students in an educational setting. Teaching experience is strongly preferred.
- Have direct management experience of volunteers, interns and/or emerging professionals
- Have experience with literacy assessments, teaching strategies, and student data analysis
- Have access to reliable transportation to travel within a defined geographic region on a daily basis
- Have some flexibility and adaptability in your work schedule, including some night and weekend time
- Have excellent computer skills, including MS Office and database management
- Are eligible to work in the US
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
Bonus points if you:
- Hold a master’s degree in education or a related field
- Have experience working in the launch phase of projects or programs
- Have knowledge of and a connection to the Silicon Valley elementary education community
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full time, exempt, and salaried position.
- We offer a rich suite of health, welfare, and lifestyle benefits, including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, 403(b) option, and more.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know
- Travel: This position travels regularly to school sites, attends community events and conducts partner visits throughout Silicon Valley. This position may also involve occasional travel to Reading Partners’ National Headquarters in Oakland, CA.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit for certain periods of time, bend and stoop occasionally, have the necessary ability to use a keyboard and lift up to 10 pounds. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role. Please include your salary needs.
At Reading Partners we respect and honor the diversity in our workforce, and we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.