Union Settlement, established in 1895, is one of the largest and oldest settlement houses in New York. The agency serves more than 10,000 East Harlem residents of all ages each year through its education, health, senior services, youth development, early childhood education, counseling and economic empowerment programs.
The Development Associate will provide general support for all Development and Communications functions, including individual and institutional giving, proposal and report writing, event planning and execution, and donor and marketing communications. The Development Associate will work closely with the development team, as well as program staff, to raise the private and governmental funding necessary to maintain essential community services and invest in new programming. He/she must be able to create text and materials that effectively communicate with Union Settlement stakeholders—including donors, staff, supporters and community members—in order to promote the wide range of vital community services that we provide.
· Write proposals and reports for a range of audiences including foundations, corporations, government agencies and individual donors.
· Work with agency staff to secure and maintain grants for general and program support.
· Work with Development team members to develop and implement systems to more efficiently store and retrieve language and statistics that are relevant to our community and our programs.
· Conduct research to find new funding opportunities and potential donors.
· Assist the Director of Development and Communications with major donor research and outreach.
· Assist with fundraising events, as needed.
· Special projects and duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field. Master’s Degree in related field a plus.
· One to three years of experience in grant writing and/or development, with a demonstrated ability to persuasively convey program results in written materials.
· Superior writing and editing skills.
· Excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Overall flexibility and ability to work under pressure and meet many deadlines.
· A dedicated work ethic, diligence, and readiness to be a hands-on team member with a keen eye for detail.
· Familiarity with social service programs and a strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents of the local East Harlem community.
· Excellent computer skills; Microsoft Word and Excel experience essential; knowledge of donor databases, photo editing and/or graphic design a plus.
· A sense of humor.
Salary Range: $40,000 - $50,000
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Writing Samples, References, and Salary Requirements to: email@example.com
Please indicate Development Associate in subject of e-mail.
Submissions without salary requirements will not be considered.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER