Chief of Party: Improved Basic Education in the Kyrgyz Republic
- Job posted by American Institutes for Research
American Institutes for Research (AIR), is a not-for-profit company, founded 72 years ago. Our mission is to improve lives, especially for those in disadvantaged circumstances by conducting and applying the best social science and evaluation research. Since AIR’s founding, AIR staff have dedicated their efforts to strengthening education and related systems and developing in-country capacities to sustain programs over time. Complementing integrity and effective management practices, and a commitment to mutually supportive partnerships, AIR brings expert technical skill to address the many in-country factors affecting successful implementation and sustainability of best practices – leadership, linguistic and cultural competence, supportive policies, practitioner professional development, and data for monitoring and evaluation and continuous quality improvement.
AIR’s International Development Program has worked in more than 80 countries over the past three decades, serving USAID and a variety of other clients. We seek to ensure that: every child has access to all levels of education; governments and civil society have the capacity to provide quality learning experiences and relevant curricula; and individuals, communities, and institutions are linked in and empowered to support efforts, serving as agents of support and change.
AIR is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for a proposed USAID-funded, early grade reading project in the Kyrgyz Republic in Central Asia. The anticipated project, will focus on: improving reading and math instruction in Kyrgyz and Russian languages through effective teacher and administrator preparation; design and delivery of quality reading materials; building assessment capacity; and other needed government capacities to sustain effective reading instruction beyond this work.
The Chief of Party position will be based in Kyrgyzstan.
The COP will:
• Provide overall leadership and management to effectively execute all aspects of the work in-country
• Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, Ministry of Education, local NGOs, other international players, schools and communities
• Ensure the project complies with all financial and administrative requirements of the US government
• Provide a vision and leadership for development, execution, and institutionalization of the project’s technical components
• Work collaboratively with all key players, especially hand-in-hand with local institutions, to begin institutionalization of capacities for ongoing delivery of effective early grade reading teaching practices
• Lead and manage AIR personnel, subcontractors, consultants and ensure their compliance with management, and all financial and administrative requirements of the US government
• Oversee project monitoring, evaluation, and reporting, as well as information dissemination
• Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in education, international education and development, or other relevant international development degree
• Minimum six years of relevant experience as Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party for a large USAID-funded project
• Experience in Central Asia
• Experience in early grade reading and math, basic education, literacy, curriculum development, teacher professional development and/or capacity building of ministries of education to improve access and quality of instruction
• Experience with high-level representation among host country nationals, U.S. officials, etc.
• Management and financial oversight of large USAID projects
• Management experience with in-country local staff, sub-contractors and civil society
• Proficiency in Russian and/or Kyrgyz languages preferred
This position is contingent on funding.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and proficiency in Russian and/or Kyrgyz languages preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply using the following website: