The Student Zone Helper assists students in completing their own homework assignments by utilizing a variety of resources in the Student Zone, including digital resources. The Student Zone Helper will be assigned to a Los Angeles Public Library branch (one of the ones listed below) for a schedule that is Monday – Thursday, from 2:30-5:30pm. Current Branches with openings are:
Memorial (4625 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90019)
Sun Valley (7935 Vineland Ave, Sun Valley, CA 91352)
Arroyo Seco (6145 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90042)
Palisades (861 Alma Real Dr, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272)
Student Zone Helper is responsible for
- General operation of the Student Zone during after school homework hours.
- Setting up the Student Zone so that it will be ready during the branch’s Student Zone hours.
- Encourage and assist students in completing their homework
- Register students who participate in the Student Zone, both for LAPL resources and on PowerMyLearning®.
- Set up Student Zone materials and supplies (including electronic equipment and stationery supplies).
- Answer simple questions and refer more complex reference questions to librarians.
- Assist students in using electronic equipment.
- Assist students in adhering to the library rules of behavior and rules of conduct.
- Assist librarians in maintaining records of participants, collect evaluations, sign-up sheets, and assist librarians in preparing report of the Student Zone, etc.
- Assist librarians to determine what apps/computer programs will best suit the needs of the users of the Student Zones.
- High school diploma
- Passion for helping students succeed academically
- Good computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent people skills
- Able to create a positive learning atmosphere
- Able to maintain a regular schedule
- Familiar with LAPL databases and resources
- Ability to work well with teens and children
- Ability to work well with existing branch staff
- Strong customer service skills
- Enjoys working with families and students
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Team‐player who is also capable of working independently or with minimal oversight
- Able to lift a minimum of 30lbs
- Able to stand for long periods
- Able to bend over and/or crouch low to the ground throughout the work day
- Able to work in crowded, close-quartered environment
Preferred (if applicable):
- Bilingual Spanish/English or other language
- Experience working with children and families
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to add the name of the branch you are interested in the subject line.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and 2 references to Cynthia Gomez-Ramirez at email@example.com
IMPORTANT Email instructions:
Include the name of the branch(es) you are interested in working at on the subject of your email (ex. Student Zone Helper Resume- Sylmar) and on the resume (next to your name).