Food & Water Watch is a leading nonprofit running strategic campaigns to move America Off Fossil Fuels, ensure safe drinking water for all, and challenge the corporate control of our food, water and democracy. We utilize online and field organizing to build the people power we need to win real victories – including banning fracking in New York and Maryland. We don’t accept any corporate or government funding so we can stand up for what we believe in without any conflicts of interest. Our work has been featured in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Miami Herald, Orlando Sentinel and other major media outlets.
Food & Water Watch is hiring a Miami organizer as part of the Florida Team to work primarily on the campaign to ban fracking in the state.. The Miami organizer will work remotely with our Senior Florida Organizer in St. Petersburg and the Floridians Against Fracking coalition. They will work to educate residents in Miami-Dade about the dangers of climate change, fossil fuel extraction such as fracking and offshore drilling and the need to move to 100% clean energy. The position will utilize grassroots organizing tactics to gain support for our issues among Miami-Dade state and federal elected officials. The Organizer will coordinate volunteer activists in Miami-Dade and build new alliances.
This is a 6 month temporary position starting as soon as possible with a good chance for the position to be extended into 2019. It will be based out of Miami-Dade.
● Work with our base of partner organizations and individuals in support of our anti-fossil fuel, pro-clean energy campaigns and continue to recruit new allies.
● Hold public events to educate Miami-Dade residents about the dangers of fossil fuels.
● Implement grassroots organizing to educate legislators about the dangers associated with fracking and offshore drilling.
● Work as part of the Florida Team.
● Recruit and maintain a volunteer activist team.
● Travel around Miami-Dade to motivate local organizations and individuals through public speaking, media appearances, strategic planning and training, and meetings with state and local government officials.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Experience: At least one year experience in grassroots/field organizing and/or advocacy on public policy issues.
● Spanish speaking ability a must
● Travel: Must have a car and ability to travel around South Florida as required.
● Knowledge: Grassroots organizing, advocacy and legislative strategy techniques; familiarity with federal and state legislatures and legislative process; consumer and environmental issues; working with the media. Deep connections in Miami a plus.
● Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal and planning; excellent organizational skills. Knowledge of online activism and email listservs.
● Capabilities: Ability to think creatively and quickly to respond to legislative developments and to take advantage of breaking news; demonstrated leadership capability; ability to work well with a wide variety of people and to coordinate diverse tasks; ability to present technical concepts to a mass audience; can-do attitude and commitment to public interest work. Work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks at once, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. High level of independent judgment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaking ability a must.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link:
Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and differently-abled people to apply.