Details: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
185 Court Street
<img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NOcH3SE5mgAfQeupjn37MpsUNb3tsPJ99xCuQV9d8U5NSKNunhkr77wyEJEi7yadzlVIA0uP-QmpQ2Gzfq9kK7fqYAiM2g8cM0wZju49vqe1BHM78F_aFwUSzLdJjEB9lF9xyxVQ" alt="pinwheel-seal-blue-cmyk.jpg" height="116" width="116">
The Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and is responsible for the primary bookkeeping at Brooklyn Heights Montessori School. This is a 12-month position. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage all aspects of day to day bookkeeping and accounting processes including but not limited to: A/P, A/R, payroll, journal entries, and bank reconciliations in accordance with GAAP.
- Execute bi-monthly payroll activities using a 3rd party payroll service provider.
- HR and benefits management.
- Prepare monthly analysis and journal entries for significant general ledger accounts.
- Perform monthly bank and investment reconciliations.
- Run and review general ledger reports for monthly financial statements.
- Execute month-end closing procedures and postings.
- Assist in preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Receive and deposit all organizational revenue.
- Follow up on all open receivables and collections, send out late notices via email according to policy.
- Assist with audit preparation and prepare audit schedules.
- Perform annual 1099 reporting for vendors.
- Support Assistant Controller in development and analysis of annual organization/departmental budgets.
- Recommend internal control and policy/procedure improvements if necessary.
- Other ad hoc projects such as construction, etc.
- Accounting degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years of work experience in a bookkeeping/accounting function.
- Experience working in nonprofit accounting, including accounting experience at a school.
- Veracross knowledge preferred.
- Strong Excel skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Attention to detail, strong communication, and problem solving are all critical skills for success in this role.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School has an institutional commitment to the principles of diversity. In that spirit, BHMS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical challenge, national or ethnic origin, ancestry or any other characteristic.
To apply for this position, visit http://employment.bhmsny.org and click on the "Accountant" link to submit your resume and application.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required