85 Merrimac Street
Boston CASA’s (Court Appointed Special Advocates) mission is to ensure a safe and permanent home for court-involved children in Suffolk and Middlesex County, who have experienced abuse and neglect.
Boston CASA fulfills this mission by recruiting, training and supervising volunteers from the community who are appointed as a child's guardian ad litem (GAL), to protect and promote their “best interest” while ensuring they have access to safe and permanent homes. CASA Volunteers come from all walks of life. They have a variety of professional, educational and cultural backgrounds. They are selected on the quality of their objectivity, competence, and commitment. Please visit our website at www.bostoncasa.org to learn more about the organization.
The Recruitment & Training Manager has the primary responsibility to undertake community outreach to identify and recruit volunteers with a focus on increasing the diversity Boston CASA’s volunteer base; manage the intake process for interested volunteers and maintain volunteer information in the program database; manage and conduct volunteer training, organize volunteer recognition programs and special events; and collaborate in the coordination and delivery of volunteer communications. This position will report to the Assistant Director.
Manage CASA Volunteer Recruitment, Screening and Training
- Coordinate CASA volunteer recruitment and outreach activities in collaboration with staff, board, and community partners, to identify a diverse and qualified volunteer pool that meets the strategic needs of Boston CASA.
- Manage the volunteer intake process in collaboration with staff, including organizing and conducting information sessions, processing applications, scheduling screening interviews, coordinating background checks, and communicating with potential volunteers.
- Develop and execute CASA pre-service and in-service training program for new volunteers and staff, while considering professional development opportunities for existing volunteers and
- Ensure proper and consistent application of volunteer policies and information sharing.
Maintenance of volunteer records
- Monitor and maintain up-to-date volunteer information in CASA Manager (database).
- Maintain volunteer background checks promoting best practices and ensuring national, state and local compliance.
Coordination of volunteer opportunities and events
- Work with the Assistant Director and program staff to design, promote and maintain a range of volunteer opportunities within the Organization, including maintaining volunteer job descriptions for the various non-CASA volunteer roles
- Collaborate with Boston CASA Development staff to support communication initiatives
- Organize the annual volunteer recognition event and other events for volunteers
- Create and distribute various communications and publications, including the monthly volunteer newsletter.
- Support the development and coordination of a volunteer speaker bureau.
- Support the development, measurement and ongoing evaluation of volunteer recruitment efforts to ensure success and continual improvement
- Manage volunteer evaluations and exit interview process
- Establish and maintain effective, collegial working relationships with Boston CASA staff, board and volunteers, as well as with representatives of the larger Boston community in support of volunteer recruitment, engagement and retention
- Other duties as assigned; non-essential job duties, non-related responsibilities and other tasks as required by the Assistant Director and Program Manager may be assigned from time to time – Boston CASA is a small non-profit organization requiring flexibility from its staff.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Flexibility with hours, including frequent evenings and some weekends, with an ability to communicate effectively with Assistant Director and other Boston CASA staff regarding workload and schedule
- Bachelor’s degree or 5 years of relevant experience working with volunteers in the non-profit setting preferred
- Two years (or more) of experience managing people (volunteers or paid staff)
- Strong working knowledge of Boston’s communities of color and the strengths and challenges to improve and grow volunteer engagement in the Greater Boston Area
- Must complete Boston CASA pre-service Training
- Must pass a comprehensive background check
- Strong written communication skills, including editing skills
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to present to diverse audiences under various circumstances
- Competence in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook programs and comfort learning and utilizing new software programs
- Demonstrated respect of all people regardless of socioeconomic status, religion, sexual orientation, disability or gender expression and experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise diplomacy and discretion in communication with others
- Spanish-English bilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- Candidates should be prepared to provide a writing sample upon request
Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
LTD/STD/ Life Insurance
15 Days Paid Time Off (to start)
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish-English bilingual candidates strongly encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references in one PDF file via e-mail to email@example.com with “Recruitment and Training Manager Open Position” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or site visits. This position will remain open until filled; complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Boston CASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity within its staff, Board, and Volunteers.