700 Professional Drive
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Finance Coordinator for its Affiliate, Humane Society International (HSI). The main responsibility of this position is to coordinate the financial reporting for HSI and HSI foreign entities, including preparing and reviewing annual financial budgets, reviewing monthly financial reports, and reviewing vendor invoices to ensure compliance and within budget. This individual will also act as a liaison with international staff/country offices and the Accounting Department.
This position will be responsible for:
- Working with the President on financial issues;
- Reviewing and approving expense reports and invoices of international affiliates and consultants ensuring compliance and budgetary guidelines;
- Keeping apprised of and informing staff of changes to internal Accounting procedures;
- Managing vendor contracts and invoices;
- Assisting in the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders and payment requests ensuring compliance and with project budgets;
- Working with Accounting to oversee payments and reimbursements;
- Working with the President and budget managers in both U.S. and international offices to prepare the annual budgets;
- Participating frequently in budget meetings and clearly understanding and explaining the international office budgets;
- Preparing and reviewing financial reports relating to the international affiliates;
- assisting in the month-end review of financial reports and the general ledger transaction reports ensuring proper coding of accounts and operating within budget;
- Compiling and processing expense reports, reimbursements, and check requests;
- Staying abreast on updates related to nonprofit accounting standards and systems.
- Serving as liaison between staff, consultants, external partners and donors in the field and internal departments in regards to financial matters; this will include regular coordination with the Executive Assistant to the President regarding financial matters.
- Coordinating with country offices on accounting issues and helping to train new staff in country offices on accounting processes; will also work with internal departments and outside vendors on the opening of new country offices.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related business field or equivalent work experience required;
- Minimum of three or more years of general ledger accounting experience required; CPA preferred;
- A well-rounded knowledge of accounting practices is required; experience in nonprofit and international accounting preferred;
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills; comfortable communicating with all levels of management;
- Exceptionally professional and solid interpersonal skills exhibiting a high level of diplomacy and confidentiality;
- Must be willing and able to stay abreast of current accounting principles, tax laws and organizational policies and procedures;
- Must have superior record-management, document-production skills and strong organizational skills to be able to meet deadlines and deliverables;
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe, and PowerPoint.
- Must have strong analytical skills along with a solid understanding of grant management rules;
- Must be able and willing to travel as needed.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé using this form or fax to 301-548-7701. This position is located in either Washington, DC or Gaithersburg, MD.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required