Full Time Temporary Contract
Details: 525.00 USD a week
7 Elements (7e) is an educational organization that harnesses volunteer efforts to improve the environmental, economic, food, health, individual, community, and political security of selected Haitian and Dominican communities. Dr. David Addison, Founder & Executive Director of 7E, has developed interventions rooted in his PhD thesis of sustainability. 7E focuses on the seven elements of human security and utilizes holistic development projects as educational tools for international students. This multidisciplinary approach is the framework used to address challenges in the region and educate youth about the living conditions in the north central region of the Dominican Republic.
The Sports Program Director works in all of 7e’s programming areas in surrounding communities and organizes/leads service-learning groups. The Program Director manages initiatives with local partner organizations. Primary responsibilities are three-fold:
1) Serve as lead coordinator/guide for high school service-learning groups and safely lead them through our program
2) Learn and demonstrate 7e’s educational material in nightly curriculum
3) Teach students how to surf
The Program Director position requires multidisciplinary work and is ideal for individuals looking to gain field experience in international education, development, public health, and work related to health disparities in developing countries. The Program Director must be able to collaborate with the Local Program Director (from the host country) to facilitate a positive summer experience for Mentors and participants. Mentors will be part of the team and Program Directors must be able to delegate, manage, and communicate effectively with Mentors. Program Directors work to maintain the safety and health of each student, ensure program logistics are properly coordinated, and implement 7 Elements educational curriculum. Communication, teamwork, and flexibility are critical throughout this process. International Director responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Physically attend and participate fully in Director Training in Mexico! (May 15-20, 2018)
- Plan for and prepare for the program
- Participate in introductory and planning calls with your Local Program Director
- Participate and/or lead introductory and planning calls with Mentors
- Co-lead In-Country Training with Local Program Director
- Establish positive team dynamic with Local Program Director, Mentors, and all support staff
- Support Mentors in their own professional development by conducting check ins, feedback, and goal setting sessions
- Live alongside students; you have responsibility for the students 24 hours a day, 7 days a week while programs are in session
- Protect the health and safety of students at all times
- Facilitate the implementation of 7 Elements educational curriculum
- Guide students through personal growth experiences
- Resolve student discipline issues
- Manage parent communication
- Provide constructive feedback for further program and curriculum development
The Sports Program Director will be teaching students how to surf. Must have a lifeguard certificate.
Dates of contract: June 14, 2018-August 5, 2018. Must be available for the entire contract.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS/SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Fluency in English and Spanish (conversational acceptable) language
- Experience teaching/coordinating volunteers and working with students
- Lifeguard Certification
- Able to teach surfing to students
- Travel experience (Latin America preferred); experience living abroad (Latin America/Africa/Asia preferred)
- Flexible personality; ability and interest in assuming very diverse tasks
- Strong work ethic and dedication to the position
- Experience with international development strongly preferred
- Competency regarding topics in international development, development economics, poverty alleviation, international aid, NGO work, and public health
- Confidence to travel and work independently throughout Dominican Republic
- Charisma and comfort leading and working with large groups of people
- Excellent writing skills; Strong leadership skills; Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work very independently, but also cooperate effectively with teams
- 9 to 5ers need not apply!
- One round trip plane ticket to Dominican Republic site
- Living expenses: food and basic lodging, including days in-between program sessions
- Secondary medical insurance for the duration of your contract.
- Flexibility to extend travel plans before or after contract dates
- International work experience alongside like-minded individuals.
- Professional development and networking opportunities
- 5 day professional training in beautiful Mexico, all expenses paid
- The ability to make an impact on students and local communities
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We begin interviewing for positions in December of each year. The hiring process has multiple steps, including careful placement - this usually takes 3-6 weeks. Communication will mainly be done via email; please remember to check your spam folder for a response from us regarding employment status
Step 1: How to Apply
Please submit a current resume with a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants who do not send these documents, will not be considered. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis. ONLY finalists will be contacted for an in person or telephone interview.
Note: Your cover letter should highlight your experience in facilitating experiential education programs, youth development and leadership, and any experience you have living/traveling the country or region where you are interested in working.
Step 2: Interviews
Once we receive your documents, we will contact you to schedule an interview. If your resume is selected, we will invite you for a first interview via telephone. Successful candidates applying will complete a minimum of two interviews before they are offered a contract.
Step 3: References and Background Check
If you make it through the interview process successfully, we will run a background check on you and contact your references. Assuming all goes well, you will be offered a position!