Details: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits.
The Guardianship Project (TGP) acts as court-appointed guardians for a growing population of poor, elderly, and disabled New Yorkers who have no family or friends who are able to provide the support they need. We employ a multi-disciplinary approach providing legal services, finance and asset management, property management, and care coordination for our clients. Guardianship practice generally covers a wide range of issues, including but not limited to foreclosures, public benefits, landlord/tenant law, real estate management and transactions, estate planning, medical decision-making, financial exploitation, elder abuse, and crisis management. Project staff routinely address challenging and emotionally charged issues, such as end-of-life decision-making and protecting clients from physical and financial neglect and abuse.
The Benefits Coordinator will work as part of a team of professionals providing effective services and advocacy to ensure clients’ well-being, safety, and the greatest degree of independence possible. Specific duties:
- Evaluate client needs and eligibility for public and private benefits and other applicable government programs in partnership with clients’ case managers;
- Apply for and maintain government and private benefits for clients, such as Medicaid, SCRIE, SNAP, SSI, Access-A-Ride, etc.;
- Work closely with TGP staff to collect the necessary information and proper documentation for initial and renewal applications;
- Submit applications to the appropriate agencies via fax, email, or in person;
- Document the completion and submission of applications and inform the clients’ teams via email;
- Keep in constant communication with the government agencies and/or facilities where clients reside on the status of applications via email, phone, or in person;
- Conduct follow-up to ensure clients receive the correct amount of monthly benefits in a timely manner, and help to resolve cases in which this has not occurred;
- Organize and maintain TGP’s benefits tracking spreadsheet;
- Enter all work in TGP’s data tracking system including the progress and outcomes of submitted applications;
- Escort clients, if necessary, to the government offices to complete the application process; and
- Report regularly on progress and results to the Director of Case Management.
- Bachelor Degree in social work or other related fields;
- Demonstrated interest in social justice for underserved populations;
- Experience working with the elderly and/or people with developmental disabilities desirable;
- Familiarity with public and private benefits available in NYC; experience applying for and maintaining benefits strongly preferred;
- Ability to work with a diverse and challenging population;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail;
- Creativity, flexibility, patience, and follow-through;
- Ability to work in a team environment; and
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Vera is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.
Vera works to advance justice, particularly racial justice, in an increasingly multicultural country and globally connected world. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Vera’s work, please visit www.vera.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Online submission in PDF format (through Vera’s careers page) is preferred.
If necessary, materials can be faxed or mailed to:
ATTN: Human Resources / Benefits Coordinator, TGP
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.