685 Mission Street
The Museum’s Facilities Director plays a key role in several areas of the Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD) – from the essential earned revenue rentals program, to the smooth functioning of building operations, to the management of internal systems that keep all staff up and running. As a member of the Museum’s leadership team the Facilities Director sets a significant institutional pace and tone.
For this position MoAD seeks a full time Facilities Director to supervise building operations and maintenance, security services, janitorial services, information technology, building safety, and overall operation of the physical plant at 685 Mission Street. The Facilities Director also manages event rentals and supervises the Visitor Experience (retail and admissions) staff in partnership with the Marketing Department. The work schedule is variable due to museum program and exhibitions schedule needs and is considered on-call 24/7 for building emergencies and incidents.
This is an important time to join the Museum’s team, with advance exhibition schedules in place and exciting digital transformations on the near horizon, the Facilities Director will play a significant part in realizing the Museum’s vision for 2020.
Full benefits package, including vacation, sick, holidays, FSA, pre-tax commuter benefit, and health/dental/vision with employer contributions at 90% for employees and 60% for dependents.
MoAD, a contemporary art museum, celebrates Black cultures, ignites challenging conversations, and inspires learning through the global lens of the African Diaspora. Located in the St. Regis Hotel Tower at Mission and Third Street, MoAD has occupied the building for 14 years. The Museum contains approximately 8200 square feet of exhibition space and 4800 square feet of administration space on three floors.
Ensure our physical space is well cared for, helping create a positive environment for Museum staff and visitors.
· Work with Exhibitions Director to ensure building environment complies with museum standards
· Oversee building maintenance, including: monitor and inspect for needed repairs and/or upgrades, carrying out minor repairs / fixes where possible; schedule and supervise out-sourced security, janitorial, and other building service providers (e.g., plumbers, technicians, service providers, elevator technicians, engineers, etc.); monitor and manage systems for HVAC and electrical (with building engineers), security and alarm; building permits
· Manage internet and phone; administer Office 365, Dropbox and other IT services
· Manage staff building access credentials and keys, ergonomics of on-site furnishings and employee equipment, off-site storage site
· Develop annual department budget, oversee ongoing department expenditures
· Develop and ensure compliance with health and safety processes and procedures,
· Coordinate neighborhood affiliations that impact MoAD as a Yerba Buena resident
· On call 24/7 for building related emergencies or incidents
Lead our rental program, cultivating a reliable earned-revenue stream and increasing the visibility of Museum exhibits for a new audience.
· Schedule, negotiate and contract all outside rentals
· Provide rental information and conduct on-site tours for potential rental clients
· Serve as house manager for rental events
· Develop annual department budget, and manage department expenses and income
· Coordinate in-house security and vendors for rental events
Oversee front of house operations and staff, in partnership with the Marketing Department and under the supervision of the Deputy Director and Chief Development Officer.
· Supervise two Visitor Experience staff
· Develop annual department budget and approve department expenditures
· Periodically provide staff coverage
· Minimum three years office coordination or facilities management experience
· Strong vendor management skills, to build and maintain good relationships with outside vendors; supervisory experience preferred
· Working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, carpentry and other maintenance-related areas
· Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get things done; upbeat and energetic attitude with a sense of urgency and good humor
· Agility and ability for minor structural / cosmetic repairs
· Comfort reading, understanding, and negotiating contracts and leases.
· Basic knowledge of building infrastructure (IT, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc.)
· Top-notch written and oral communication
· Ability to work well with diverse team members across all organizational levels
· Good judgement and capacity to maintain confidentiality
· Working knowledge of Museum building environment standards preferred
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., ability to communicate via phone and use computer for extended periods.
MoAD offers a full suite of health and employee benefits including medical, dental, commuter and FSA.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to: MoADTalentAcquisitionTeam@moadsf.org
The cover letter should highlight why you are interested in working for the Museum.
Please write “Facilities Director Search” in the subject line. No phone calls, no agents please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Museum of the African Diaspora
ATTN: Facilities Director Search
685 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
No phone calls, no agents please.