Located at the Lorraine Motel, the assassination site of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the National Civil Rights Museum chronicles the American civil rights movement, examines today’s global civil and human rights issues, provokes thoughtful debate and serves as a catalyst for positive social change.
In support of the organization’s business objectives and communications strategy, the Marketing Communications Specialist develops, executes and measures externally focused marketing communications activities supporting the museum’s marketing communications, digital, e-commerce and social media programs. The Specialist collaborates with internal/external stakeholders to communicate timely information about the organization, promote its brand, build and maintain key relationships, share the organization’s brand story and handles the dissemination of approved information.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in public relations, marketing, communications or journalism.
- 3 - 5 years of experience conducting communications, marketing, public relations and/or social media campaigns for organizations.
- Proven record of effective social media engagements.
- Experience in writing media releases. Excellent writing and editing skills. Thorough attention to detail. Working practice of AP Style.
- Experience in traditional media relations, i.e., pitching, coordination, credentialing, research and verification.
- Understanding of project management principles. Ability to deliver quality work with a sense of urgency.
- High energy, enthusiasm and willingness to learn/continually improve.
- Displays initiative and is resourceful.
- Able to function effectively in a dynamic environment and juggle multiple assignments and projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Competence in technology including, but not limited to, the use of presentation tools, web development, video/photo editing, with knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, e-commerce platforms and media/social media analytics software preferably on a Mac platform
- Must be able to travel to attend events to support initiatives and take photographs or video.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develop, plan, coordinate, execute and measure communications plan to achieve desired outcomes/goals.
- Support/coordinate media relations activities including media pitching, press release and press kit development and release distribution. Develop media results reports.
- Support/coordinate work with media, photographers, film production crews (both for museum projects and those visiting museum on assignment)
- Develop and post content for social media. Implement strategies to grow online community and enhance content.
- Develop content for digital platforms (website, monthly museum update, eblasts).
- Organize assets and deliverables for digital communication (websites, email marketing, ecommerce site, blogs, presentations and photography).
- Effectively meet deadlines set by manager and work efficiently to deliver approved content.
- Assist in maintaining a marketing strategy designed to brand the organization and its initiatives.
- Maintain level of expertise with required knowledge to perform duties through meaningful professional development.
- Assist with event planning and management in support of activities related to Marketing Communications and other museum functions.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Marketing Communications Manager or Chief Marketing & External Affairs Officer.