20 West 44th Street
The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen of the City of New York was founded in 1785 by the skilled craftsmen of the City. Today, this 233-year old organization continues to serve and improve the quality of life of the people of the City of New York through its educational, philanthropic and cultural programs including its tuition-free Mechanics Institute, The General Society Library and its nearly two-century old Lecture Series.
Description: We’re looking for a highly organized Program Assistant to provide support to the programming of The General Society of Mechanics & Tradesmen, particularly Mechanics Institute, an educational program for individuals in the building and construction industry. Primary duties will include providing prospective students with enrollment information and guiding applicants through the enrollment process. The Program Assistant will schedule classes and students according to the program sequencing provided. He/she will also be responsible for maintaining student databases, recording class grades and student payments. The Program Assistant will act as liaison between instructors, students, and the Executive Director.
In addition, this position will also involve general office management duties and assisting with the Lecture Series (24 lectures a year on the topics of Artisans, Labor, Literature and Landmarks). The ideal candidate would have demonstrated superb organizational and analytical skills, as well as the ability to be flexible, resourceful and manage several concurrent tasks.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree and 1-3 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be highly proactive and able to work professionally with a wide variety of people including board members, faculty, students and the general public.
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent problem identification and problem-solving skills required.
- Requires ability to function independently and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Basic Quickbooks, DonorPerfect, Constant Contact, and Eventbrite knowledge preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent Communications skills in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Karin Taylor, General Society Program Drector by email to: