Masa partners with Mexican and Latino children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the larger community. We envision a community that is civically engaged, empowered, and educated.
Masa’s community-led, integrated model engages the entire family, grounded in a deep commitment to strengthening literacy, leadership, and power for Mexican, Central American, and Indigenous People. Masa fosters a culturally responsive learning community in which families engage with direct service and advocacy programs to dismantle barriers to success.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director is responsible for key senior management responsibilities, particularly with respect to human resources, facilities management, operations, data management, and grant writing and reporting. The Deputy Director may also have some externally-facing responsibilities, such as meeting with funders or speaking at events. In addition, the Deputy Director oversees a portfolio of community programs (such as adult education, community education, and COVID-19 rapid response), providing supervision and support to staff, as well as facilitating analysis of and reflection on program quality.
The Deputy Director works closely with the Executive Director to ensure the programs in their portfolio are fully aligned to Masa’s core mission and values. Candidates with non-profit management experience are strongly preferred. A commitment to social justice and a passion for working in partnership with immigrant and indigenous communities is essential.
Position: Deputy Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Management & Operations: Support key aspects of organizational management, including:
- Operations: Supervise and support Operations Manager in all aspects of day-to-day fiscal and administrative operations, including financial reporting, facilities management, scheduling, etc.
- Human resources
- Support annual benefits renewals and monitor pre-tax deduction schedules
- Oversee and support hiring and onboarding of new employees and ensure continued compliance with most current labor laws
- Review and approve timesheets; prepare and enter payroll
- Prepare and run key financial reports through QuickBooks
- Prepare expense reports for key contracts, including reimbursement-based contracts
- Collaborate with Executive Director and consultants to ensure books are consistently audit-ready
- Data Management and Reporting
- Lead implementation of program evaluation tools, data compilation, data analysis, and reflection
- Prepare and run key data reports through SalesForce and other information systems
- Draft key sections of grant proposals, grant reports, and other external communications
- Collaborate with vendors/consultants to make updates to Masa’s information systems as needed
- Support special projects and events as needed, including City Council hearings, panel discussions, funder meetings, and other externally-facing events
- Provide support to the Executive Director and carry out other duties as assigned by the Executive Director as needed
Program Oversight: Oversee a portfolio of community programs (e.g., adult education, community education or rapid response), including:
- Support recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding of program staff
- Provide staff support and supervision, with a focus on: program planning aligned to organizational and programmatic goals, objectives, and values; reflective practice; and ensuring systems are effective
- Support the development of and monitor program budgets and spending, including for reimbursement-based programs
- Oversee program policies, operations, and enrollment, including volunteer recruitment, to ensure compliance with all external regulations, internal policies, and funder requirements
- Ensure program policies and procedures are appropriately and thoroughly documented
- Support staff in planning periodic program and community events
- In partnership with the Executive Director, build and maintain partnerships with key organizations that offer culturally fluent services in demand within the Masa community and aligned to program portfolio
- Prepare reports for Executive Director and/or funder review
- Fully bilingual in Spanish and English
- 5+ years of non-profit management experience, including at least 3 years in a supervisory role
- 5+ years of experience working in partnership with Latino immigrant communities; passionate about drawing on families’ strengths and traditions to build strong partnerships with community members
- Experience developing and managing program budgets
- Program development experience; familiar with culturally responsive and social justice approaches
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly organized and self-managing; able to work independently
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Tech-savvy; excellent Excel and Word skills in particular
- Experience with program evaluation methods and data analysis preferred
- Bookkeeping experience & familiarity with QuickBooks strongly preferred
- Database experience, especially SalesForce, preferred
- Moderate carrying of program materials may be required especially for COVID-19 rapid response work
- Work schedule will include evenings and weekends
Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.