Youth Volunteer Program Assistant
- Job posted by Mercer Island Youth and Family Services - VOICE Program
Full Time Temporary
2040 84th Ave SE
The Youth & Family Services (YFS) Youth Volunteer Program Assistant is a part to full-time summer position with the VOICE (Volunteer Outreach in Communities Everywhere) Program for high school-age youth and SVP (Summer Volunteer Program) for middle school–age youth. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will assist the VOICE Coordinator in developing and carrying out volunteer projects with over 50 different non-profit agencies in King County. This position requires previous experience with social justice education and hands-on community service, a flexible schedule, good communication skills with young people and an interest in working with youth. This position is a temporary part to full-time position lasting from mid-June until mid-August; staff must be available to work during this time. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will be responsible for transporting youth to project sites, working alongside the youth in various capacities and leading debriefing conversations. The work is 75% in the field, the remaining 25% is preparing for projects and light paperwork. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will help organize an orientation for the youth volunteers as well as a recognition ceremony at the close of the Program. Previous volunteer or youth experience is a plus..
- Mandatory Training will be held June 11 - June 16.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Organize a volunteer orientation, with events centered on team development, social justice and social service needs.
- Transport participating youth to and from project sites, lead group volunteer activities and facilitate post-project discussions.
- Maintain appropriate program records.
- Help prepare for projects and remind volunteers of project commitments.
- Must have regular and predictable work attendance to fulfill the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to drive a city 12-passenger van, current and valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous work experience with young people and community service work.
- Computer skills in Windows-based applications.
- Previous experience in working with groups and/or organizing events.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and follow through on tasks and projects.
- Demonstrated work coordination skills.
- Demonstrated maturity and personal responsibility.
- Ability to work outdoors.
- Established record of good work attendance.
- Ability to work in many diverse and changing environments.
- Ability to lead groups of young people and stimulate discussion about projects and events that may occur.
- Ability to analyze problems and generate solutions.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a variety of people, including people with disabilities, senior citizens, and children and youth. Must have patience and be able to set appropriate boundaries, and be able to deal appropriately with young people.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Ability to drive a city 12-passenger van, current and valid driver's license and good driving record. Evidence of a good driving record is a condition of employment and a complete driving abstract will be required.
- Completion of a Nationwide and Washington State criminal history background check is required in order to determine any past conviction history of crimes against persons, sexual assault or exploitation, and sexual or physical abuse and must be able to pass a thorough background check as required by the Child/Adult Abuse Information Act.
- Completion of an I-9 Form, documenting eligibility to work in the United States.
TO APPLY: *Visit: https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ and click on City of Mercer Island to apply online for this position*
Minimum Education Required