Salary Range: 75,000-85,000 + Full benefits package
Reports to: National Coordinator
Priority Application Deadline: Priority will be given to applications received by December 18, 2020. Open until filled. *Rising Majority strongly encourages and seeks applications from Black people, Indigenous people, People of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
About The Rising Majority:
The Rising Majority is a Black and people of color-led broad-based coalition of multiracial groups on the political left that are committed to opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy, and patriarchy. As the national political crisis continues to unfold with the dismantling of public services, the growing power of a wealthy elite, denial of the dangers facing the planet, the growing threat of repression, and the blatant rise of white nationalists in political institutions and on the street, there is a growing urgency for the Left and POC-led social movements to align our vision and strategies and put forward a common platform for the period ahead. Our survival depends on it.
In 2017, the Movement for Black Lives convened allied organizations and movements in response to the 2016 elections, and from there the Rising Majority was formed. Our coalition is working to develop a collective strategy and shared practice that will involve labor, youth, abolition, immigrant rights, climate change, feminist, anti-war/anti-imperialist, and economic justice forces in order to amplify our collective power and to build alignment across our movements.
The Rising Majority is committed to building a powerful, anti-racist left for radical democracy. In order to leverage our collective power, we are committed to cohering movements and engaging organizations and individuals in strategies that are crucial to deepening solidarity and building power. We believe that our historical mandate and our responsibility in this moment is to depart from the pattern of scattered and siloed struggles as much as possible. Here’s how we do it:
- Throwing down around shared targets in our campaigns and organizing, knowing that the actions of an elite few affect a wide range of movements and communities;
- Developing and promoting ideas, narratives, and cultural interventions that influence popular consciousness to uproot the fundamental ideas of systems like racialized capitalism and patriarchy; and
- Coordinating and sharing leadership within our communities, among our bases, and from our organizations to practice the anti-racist, radical democracy we are fighting for.
The Development Manager fills a critical role of strategically managing our individual donor campaigns and managing our funder organizing and events. . They also assist with other development activities to help the organization meet its revenue goals and access the resources necessary to fulfill our mission. This position will work closely with the National Coordinator to create a development plan which increases brand awareness and revenue to support the strategic direction of RM, and will work collaboratively with staff, the Leadership Team, members and movement partners to to organize and lead all fundraising efforts and initiatives.
- Designs, implements, and manages the fundraising strategy of the RM
- Seeks and secures grants for the Rising Majority
- Builds new and nurtures existing donor relationships.
- Develop donor database, engagement strategy, prompt acknowledgement of funds process, and tracking system. Compile donor lists for continued funder organizing and engagement.
- Designs fundraising strategy including unique alternatives away from 100% foundations
- Facilitate and manage the ad-hoc fundraising committee (including: the development of agendas with the committee chair for regular meetings, providing staff support for initiatives and committee efforts, and preparing necessary materials for committee meetings and assignments)
- Planning and executing an annual membership and annual fund campaigns, including designing the campaign, procuring materials, executing a mail and e-mail campaign, and creating progress reports for internal and external use
- Assist with the planning and execution of fundraising events and public programs, ensuring necessary follow up after fundraising events.
- Manage institutional and foundation fundraising efforts, including grant research and writing, maintaining a grants calendar, compiling reports, and preparing organizational documents for foundation submission.
- Support with the development and implementation of a resource distribution plan that invests in the work of our membership and the collective.
You’ll thrive in this role if this sounds like you:
*While no candidate will possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and attributes. Even if you aren’t sure but are excited about the position, we encourage you to apply!
- Demonstrated commitment to The Rising Majority’s values
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a development or related position
- Ability to organize, motivate and lead Fundraising Committee to provide strategic opportunities for increased fundraising
- Experience seeking out and cultivating relationships that lead to increased organizational funding
- Previous success meeting organizational fundraising goals, through diverse funding streams.
- Experience or willingness to learn about annual giving and planned giving
- Provide friendly, donor-centered and values-aligned customer service.
- Ability to set priorities and accomplish a broad range of tasks
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and public speaking skills and the ability to motivate people to act
- Self-starter who works well with people
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, work well under pressure and adhere to deadlines while balancing multiple projects
- Ability to initiate projects and work with minimum supervision
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication, verbal and written, communication skills
- Strong understanding of communication strategy
- Attention to detail with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Able to communicate effectively to a diverse set of constituencies in a diverse set of geographies
- Social justice background, and a commitment to grow in alignment with the values and principles of the Rising Majority and our member organizations
- Commitment to working with a spirit of transparency and accountability
We’re hoping you bring 1-2 (or more) of these bonus skills:
- Grant writing experience is preferred. However, candidates with experience securing individual major gifts (of at least $5,000) and donations/sponsorships via events is a bonus.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and has a working knowledge of the dynamics of power, privilege, and bias.
- Proficiency with donor databases and websites is highly desirable.
- Project coordination/management skills
Attributes, Experience & Qualifications:
- Strong racial equity analysis, skills, and practice: You consistently integrate a deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class, and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- Self-initiative and advanced project management skills: You are self-directed and thrive in dynamic and ambiguous environments. You can delegate effectively, manage multiple priorities, organize a large volume of work, and keep it flowing through the pipeline. You are tenacious and proactive with the ability to get things done.
- Excellent relationship-building skills: You are able to build positive, enduring relationships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and organizations and leverage those relationships in service of organizational goals.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate virtually: You are efficient and comfortable with Google Suite, responsive via email, and willing to participate in virtual meetings as needed; and you have the the ability to navigate spaces with multiple strong voices and opinions to move the group forward and land decisions with clarity.
- Mission-aligned with opposing the ravages of racial capitalism, settler colonialism, white supremacy and patriarchy.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Willingness and capacity to travel.(*No travel expected during pandemic)
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward building consensus and resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Entrepreneurial, creative, and able to anticipate problems before they arise.