109 Somerset Street
Southside Community Land Trust is looking for an experienced professional to steward all of our properties including production farms, leased farms, community gardens and buildings. This person will also be part of a collaborative team that provides training and resources to community and backyard gardeners, community organizations, and beginning farmers (adults and youth). This is a senior leadership position which reports to the Executive Director.
Maintenance and Development of SCLT Properties - Develops plans and budgets, provides project management, direct labor and volunteer coordination for maintenance and improvements at all properties. Works with operations staff to keep properties clean and well-maintained. Handles all unexpected property management/maintenance issues. Assists other staff with assessment of parcels for SCLT farm-link program.
Supervision and Oversight of SCLT Staff and Operations - Leads Community Gardens program and operations - including gardener outreach and education, garden leader empowerment, refugee resettlement program and other initiatives. Leads production activities at Galego Court Community Farm. Provides supervision of Community Growers Coordinator, Special Projects Coordinator and Program Associates to ensure that all work is up to SCLT standards. Creates professional development plans for all direct reports. Provides mentoring and education to other staff re: farm development and farming practices.
Management of Urban Edge Farm - Leads operations at this incubator farm including all annual income and expenditures, equipment repair/use, new farmer development, development and maintenance of new fields.
Provides training to organizations and community members on how to develop community gardens and urban farms
Participates in development and evolution of SCLT Programs - Tracks and reports outcome data and prepares grant reports. Supports fundraising efforts as needed – including leading occasional event production grant writing. Represents SCLT at educational and other events.
Performs other tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience in urban and rural farming, farm and/or community garden construction and operations. Including experience with farm equipment use and repair.
- Ability to routinely move farm equipment and supplies, ascend and descend steps/ladders, position oneself to repair equipment, inspect sites and equipment for safety concerns and conduct similar activities.
- Five+ years professional land trust and sustainable agriculture-related experience.
- Successful grant writing experience.
- Ability to develop work plans, project budgets, meet deadlines and lead project teams.
- Two+ years of experience successfully supporting direct reports
- Experience with outcome tracking and grant reporting.
- Interpersonal skills – ability to negotiate and build trust with funders, landowners, farmers, members, program partners, direct reports and co-workers.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in internet research and all standard office software – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email.
- Valid driver’s license or ability to obtain one
SCLT welcomes your application even if your experience and abilities do not meet all of the above qualifications.
Schedule – 40 hours per week (full time). This position requires occasional weekend and evening availability.
If selected, you will be called on to positively represent SCLT in community and regional collaborations and with many of our constituents and partners. You will be inspired by the work, passionate about serving the public, and respectful of different points of view.
SCLT is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building a team that includes leadership from the communities that we serve and represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Salary is flexible, commensurate with experience. SCLT offers health and dental benefits, work/life balance, and generous vacation package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (Spanish) applicants are strongly encouraged.
Minimum Education Required