Title: Communications Coordinator Consultant
Location: Lima, Peru
Reports to: Communications Manager – Amazon Program Director
Start date: ASAP
EarthRights International (ERI) is a nonprofit, nongovernmental organization (NGO) with offices in Washington DC, Thailand, Peru, and Myanmar (Burma). ERI combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment. Specializing in legal actions against perpetrators of earth rights abuses, training for grassroots community leaders and advocacy campaigns, we seek to end earth rights abuses, and to promote and protect human and environmental rights in the communities where we work.
EarthRights International is seeking a Communications Coordinator to strengthen ERI’s Latin America content and media relations. A successful candidate will possess a combination of writing skills, strong work ethic, knowledge of training for human rights and environmental justice activists, and will thrive in an environment of complex challenges.
The Coordinator’s core purpose is to facilitate communications opportunities from ERI’s Latin America work and to amplify the voices of our local staff, affected communities, and partners working throughout the region, on a variety of human rights and environmental issues. The Coordinator will help develop strategic communications to drive forward our global goals and priority campaigns to ensures our stories reach regional and international audiences, to allow us to advocate and fundraise more effectively, and to offer our local allies the dignity and justice of telling their own stories.
The Coordinator will also support ERI’s Communications and Development programs by providing both content and strategic insight, and will lead the effort to improve and expand the online footprint of our Latin America programs.
Communications and storytelling
- Write original stories and blog posts about ERI’s activities in Latin America in order to educate our audience about our work and about regional human rights issues.
- Prepare background informational materials on ERI’s issue areas, including both written content and creative visual work such as photo galleries, short videos, infographics in collaboration with Human Rights Storyteller and other consultants
- Assist with posting content on the ERI website and social media sites, particularly Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter;
- Attend ERI events in order to gather stories and photos.
- Regularly review ERI’s existing web and print materials, identify gaps, and fill those gaps with compelling new content.
- Collaborate with ERI’s Communications and Development staff on planning and implementation of social media campaigns and donor engagement.
- Participate in weekly calls with US Communications staff (and other ERI staff as needed).
Media / Press
- Assist with cultivating relationships with editors, journalists, and bloggers, to ensure a strong position for ERI in the media Latin America and with Latin American correspondence for international media;
- Collaborate with ERI’s local staff, including those for whom English is a second language, on the drafting and editing of their own written materials. Assist program staff in drafting and editing press releases, blogs and op-eds;
- Degree in Communications, or similar
- Minimum 5 years of work experience, including work with the media and press
- Demonstrable work experience in planning and implementing communications campaigns
- Knowledge of social media campaigns and audience engagement, and a practical knowledge of online tools, grassroots organizing, and coalition building
- Work experience with human rights movements and/or the environment in Latin America
- Demonstrated experience in writing compelling short-form content for a lay audience
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and Spanish
- Ability to have courteous and professional interaction with a multi-ethnic/-lingual staff and ability to work with different cultures
- Experience working collaboratively within diverse teams
- Good problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- Exceptional writing ability and strong interpersonal communication skills;
- Creative thinking, adaptability, and a willingness to plan/brainstorm and explore new ideas;
- General knowledge and enthusiasm regarding human rights and corporate accountability;
- Demonstrated talent in at least two of the following areas. Candidates are not expected to excel in every category, but should excel in at least two and have a genuine interest in developing other skills in these areas:
- Creative design sensibilities and familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc);
- Video advocacy skills, such as recording video and audio or editing video in Final Cut;
- Press and media expertise, experience working with journalists, drafting press releases etc;
- Public relations campaign planning and implementation;
- Social media campaigning and constituent engagement, and a working knowledge of tools for online advocacy, grassroots organizing, and coalition building.
To view post in Spanish, visit: http://bit.ly/comms-consultant-SP
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your updated CV, cover letter and a writing sample to email@example.com. Please use Communications Coordinator Peru in your subject line.