The Union for Reform Judaism strengthens communities that transform the way people connect to Jewish life, building a more whole, just, and compassionate world.
The URJ builds community at every level—from the way we collaborate with congregations, organizations, and individuals to how we make connections across North America to advance contemporary and inclusive Jewish life. Providing vision and voice to transform the way people connect to Judaism, we help congregations stay adept and agile, motivate more young Jews to embrace Jewish living, agitate for a more progressive society, and foster meaningful connections to Israel.
The Union for Reform Judaism is seeking a grant writer to become an integral part of the Development team. The grant writer is responsible for writing proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects and for submitting timely and accurate reports for existing grant funded projects.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Maintain an organization-wide grants deadline calendar and tracker.
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide written materials necessary for funder/ donor stewardship.
- Assist Development staff in preparing for funder/donor site visits.
- Work with finance to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
- Interfacing and communicating with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Excellent grammar and strong editing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Experience with Raiser's Edge and Salesforce preferred
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
- Bachelor's degree required– communications, journalism, or liberal arts degree.
- Two- four years’ experience with grant writing.
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b), Transit, Life Insurance, LTD, Generous Paid Time Off
Minimum Education Required