Details: Competitive BOE
401 Pacific Ave
The Academy of Alameda
The Academy of Alameda equitably develops students into critical thinkers and life-long learners who navigate the world with integrity, and who apply their learning to empower themselves and their communities.
The Academy of Alameda Elementary and Middle Schools, located on the West End of Alameda, serve one of the most diverse student populations in the state. Our diverse community provides a perfect context in which to provide a rigorous and engaging curriculum where learning is embedded in meaningful real world contexts and where all students are deliberately taught to see the connections between home, school, and the world through the lenses of identity, diversity, justice, and action.
We seek to transform our students’ educational experience so that our their demographics do not determine their destinies. We do this by:
- Providing a strong tier one program available to all students
- Providing an effective support system that accelerates the social emotional and academic learning of students who need additional support
- Fostering in each student a deep sense of equity and social justice through the lenses of identity, diversity, justice and action.
- Nurturing students’ sense of belonging in, and responsibility for, their school, family, and the larger community.
- Providing a culture that helps build deep relations between staff and students, staff and our families and between students of all backgrounds.
- Engaging yearly in equity centered professional development at every level of our organization
Teacher: The Academy is seeking an excellent technology teacher committed to delivering high level, engaging curriculum so that students gain a solid foundation in both basic and intermediate technology skills. A qualified candidate must be an effective technology teacher and be able to coordinate our technology program including having a basic understanding of technology maintenance. While the position is focused on our middle school program, qualified candidates will also be able to plan for and help implement a K-8 technology program.
Technology Program Development:The technology teacher will also take the lead in building a strong K-8 technology program by facilitating and developing (along with key staff) a 3-year technology plan that will support our students and staff to be technologically savvy in the 21st century.
Technology Teaching/Coordination Assignment:
- Teach two sixth grade Introduction to Technology classes
- Teach one to Two 7th/8th grade Advanced Technology classes
- One to two periods of technology program coordination (depending the number of classes taught). Duties include:
- Build and deploy standard install images on faculty, staff, and student devices.
- Set up new Chromebook carts
- Maintain ongoing monthly maintenance of all on site hardware including Chromebooks, PC’s, and tablets.
- Provide one-on-one support to teachers and staff on software applications and hardware related issues.
- Manage GoGuardian admin tool. Monitoring student use of computers, work with admin to set up filters / controls, and reporting inappropriate use of tech.
Critical Staff Qualities
In addition to strong content knowledge, and the ability to emotionally and intellectually engage and build relationships will all students, we are seeking candidates who embody the following qualities:
- Are committed to ensure that every child will succeed
- Believe in and are capable of high levels of collaboration and communication
- Believe that communicating and building relationships with our students’ families is essential
- Are reflective educators committed to understanding how their own identities interact with and influence the identities of their students
- Believe that working and educating children in a diverse environment provides an even richer learning environment and unique opportunity to teach social justice
- See themselves as active learners committed to ongoing professional development
- Believe that all children have the right to an exceptional education
- Understand that children learn in different ways
- Are capable of building a safe, nurturing, supportive and high achieving school culture
- Believe that a combination of creativity and research generates engaging curriculum
- Enjoy their work
- Computer programming including block coding, html, and an understanding of the code.org curriculum for middle school
- Various computer applications, including Microsoft office, web design, video editing, Google documents, use of tablets, and other technologies for instructional and student use
- Principles, methods and procedures pertaining to curriculum planning (lesson and unit planning)
- Knowledge of state and national educational technology standards
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Use a variety of instructional strategies (including differentiation, project-based learning, culturally relevant strategies) to teach students how to effectively use computers, tablets, and other technologies
- Implement effective classroom management skills
- Help students gain the knowledge and skills to use technology to support their success in other classes (project planning with other teachers)
- Develop a scope and sequence of technology classes (Instructional plan grades 6 through 8 and begin to build a scope of sequence for k-5)
- Be conversant with and stay abreast of developments in technology
- Teaching Credential Preferred
- Classroom Experience & Strong Classroom Management
- Experience with hardware and software maintenance
- Cover Letter and Resume
- 2 Recent Professional School Letters of Recommendation
- 3 School References with Contact Information
- Bilingual proficiency is a plus
This is 12-month position with periods of time off in the summer (mostly in July).
Our Compensation Package
We believe in taking good care of our employees. We provide a strong compensation and benefits package, including a competitive salary and generous health benefits (100% employee/50% dependents) and retirement benefits (5% employer-matching).
Interested candidates should submit:
- Cover letter describing your interest in this exciting position and why you are an optimal fit, including how your teaching philosophy, approach to student learning, and educational expertise would contribute to The Academy of Alameda’s mission and core values.
- 2 Letters of Reference
- 3 references with Name, Email, Phone Number and Title/nature of working relationship
Application submission screening and initial phone interviews will be completed on a rolling basis. In-person interviews and performance tasks will take place on-site.
* The Academy of Alameda is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
People of color and/or bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We believe in taking good care of our employees. We provide a strong compensation and benefits package, including a competitive salary and generous health benefits (100% employee/50% dependents) and retirement benefits (100% matching up to 5% of salary).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit the link listed above to apply.