46 Washington Avenue
About the position:
Recess seeks an experienced, enthusiastic individual to support the organization in the implementation of communications strategies encompassing all aspects of the Recess’s programmatic and development needs. This position will report to the Program Director & Director of Development.
Recess is a nonprofit art space formed in 2009 to support artists who boldly reimagine an inclusive public for art. By envisioning our public as participants, we challenge common distinctions between process and product and maker and consumer. For more information visit recessart.org.
The Communications Coordinator responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Generate content for Recess digital platforms: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
● In collaboration with the Program Director and Director of Development, create program/event specific newsletters and communications through email marketing software
● Maintain and update Wordpress-based website
● Maintain archives and documentation for Recess core programs
● Cultivate community across all communication channels
● Work closely with the Director of Development to ensure effective messaging and accuracy of crediting on all marketing collateral
● Work closely with the Director of Development to create dynamic donor specific materials for Recess’s year-end appeal, annual benefits, and membership outreach, 10 year anniversary
● Work closely with the Director of Development to create messaging tools for the Board of Directors and other supporters
● Manage Recess’s 10th anniversary Video Project
● Represent Recess offsite in position related networking and working groups
● In conjunction with Program Director conduct direct press outreach for each project; serve as a main point of contact for press relations
● Maintain and grow press mailing list and send project press releases while updating website and social media with new press coverage
● B.A. or B.S.; MA in related field a plus;
● Passion for arts, education, and innovative programming;
● Demonstrated ability to work well with artists, youth, arts groups, and key stakeholders (e.g. Board members, donors, community leaders, etc.);
● At least 2 years communications, arts administration and/or non-profit experience; familiarity with New York City arts and education communities a plus;
● Excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills;
● Flexibility and strong ability to work independently;
● Computer and digital literacy and strong working skills in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Wordpress, social media platforms, and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Includes health benefits, 401K plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter, cv, and three references as a combined pdf by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Coordinator at Recess”
Recess is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.