As a member of Ascend's technology team, the systems administrator will play a critical role supporting and administering the organization's applications and infrastructure. Travel between our Brooklyn schools and occasional weekend and/or evening work is required.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,700 students across 15 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
You can learn more about the Ascend approach by visiting our website.
The systems administrator will:
- execute projects designed by the managing director of technology and supporting in the deployment, configuration, and management of Ascend's physical and virtual server infrastructures as well as core systems;
- work with the MD of technology and team members to develop a scalable strategy for Ascend's infrastructure;
- manage and maintain Ascend's voice and data networks including LAN/WAN and HPBX VoIP systems;
- create and maintain documentation around all technologies and technology policies and procedures;
- cater to various sites' audio-visual needs, including testing, set-up, and maintenance;
- install, maintain, and troubleshoot all hardware and software issues;
- assist in the implementation of new technologies;
- assist and manage day-to-day requests using Zendesk, our support request system;
- communicate proactively with the school staff to research and develop best-practice processes;
- administer and support core applications, including Infinite Campus, Citrix ShareFile, IlluminateEd, Office 2019/365, ActivInspire, Google Workspace (including Google Classroom), Nearpod, GoGuardian, and Zendesk;
- provide responsive and courteous support to resolve all technology issues;
- provide general application and infrastructure support; and
- provide timely and service-oriented support to resolve issues.
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The systems administrator reports to Ascend's managing director of technology.
- Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university
- 3+ years of work experience in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
A proven track record and high degree of proficiency in at least four of the technical areas below:
- Switching/Routing/Firewalls/Load Balancing
- Wireless networking (Autonomous, Lightweight, and/or Cloud Managed infrastructures)
- HBPX/VoIP technologies and implementations and well as video conferencing systems
- Microsoft Server Technologies (Windows Server 2016/2019, Hyper-V, File & print services)
- Microsoft Domain Management (AD DS, ADFS 3.0, DNS, DHCP, Azure AD Connect)
- Microsoft Client Management (Group Policy, Desktop Imaging)
- DR/Resiliency planning (clustering, backups, email archiving/journaling)
- Supporting iOS/Android/Windows devices
- Industry certifications are a plus (Microsoft, Cisco, PMI, HP, Google, Amazon, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose issues, identify root causes, and design effective solutions
- Experience with a student information systems
- Experience managing policies and procedures to set best practices and deliver high-quality support
Skills and Traits
A successful systems administrator will demonstrate:
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to prioritize and communicate effectively with non-technical users
- Comfort with performing hands-on work and assisting with strategic projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and the ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Strong results-oriented troubleshooting and commitment to excellence
- Self-sufficiency with the ability to ask questions and request help when needed
- Excellent task- and time-management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to think critically, quickly, and strategically
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit www.ascendschools.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/7eVyLrtO6E2lCeAGH6pk7" />