1225 South Weller Street
OneAmerica is a Seattle-based nonprofit whose mission is to advance the fundamental principles of democracy and justice by building power in immigrant communities. OneAmerica was established in 2001 by U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal and has since grown to become a locally and nationally recognized leader in advancing immigrant, civil, and human rights. Our strategies include policy advocacy, grassroots organizing, immigrant integration programs and civic/electoral engagement. Our family of organizations consists of OneAmerica (C3), OneAmerica Votes (C4) and OneAmerica Votes Justice Fund (PAC).
Our work today is more important than ever, and OneAmerica is growing and becoming stronger to meet the current political challenges.
During this time of growth and opportunity OneAmerica is working to strengthen our response to the emboldened racism and xenophobia facing our communities by building the social and political power of immigrants and refugees in Washington State. Our new strategic direction centers grassroots organizing, so we are not only defending the rights and liberties of immigrants but building the leadership of our communities to drive change.
A significant challenge in this moment is remaining responsive and bold about our vision for immigrants and refugees while also staying focused on our core goals. We are looking for staff to join our team who are adaptable and excited about leading change, are highly motivated around problem solving and lead with a focus on relationships, collaboration, racial equity and challenging power by building movements.
Join a dynamic team leading the local resistance and play a key role in our organizational growth.
The Senior Policy Manager will lead the policy team at OneAmerica, with the opportunity to build and grow the department’s work and focus. This individual will directly lead our immigrant rights and education policy and advocacy strategy, leveraging our existing work and success to advance an innovative and broad approach to systemic change in both local and state-wide policy. Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, this individual will manage and oversee OneAmerica’s dynamic coalition, policy and advocacy work. This position will directly supervise the Education Program Manager position and serve on the Senior Management Team in order to establish deep connections between grassroots community organizing and broader systems change.
We are looking for a movement builder who is exciting about bringing their policy expertise to a grassroots setting. The successful candidate will be a strong leader and manager who is dedicated, self-motivated, creative and eager to join a results-oriented team to advance a bold policy agenda in a fast paced environment. S/he/They will bring a deep understanding of grassroots leadership development, and an ability to operationalize a strategy that ensures the voices of those most impacted by systemic inequities are at the center of driving progressive policy change. This individual must also bring demonstrated experience embedding a creative spirit and structures for accountability into their work as well as versatile policy expertise and experience at preferably at the local, state, and federal level.
Policy Advocacy 50%
- Lead One America’s education and immigration defense policy advocacy work
- Oversee OneAmerica’s state legislative work and agenda with a focus on merging policy expertise and campaign planning
- Produce data centered policy reports to advance OneAmerica’s advocacy goals and objectives
- Provide policy support and expertise at the local level to communities across the state to drive local campaigns on a variety of topics identified by grassroots leaders
- Develop policy trainings for grassroots leaders and staff and deliver trainings
- Write, research and advance state and federal level legislation pertaining to immigrant and refugees
- Support state level education campaigns and policy implementation in early learning, K-12, and higher education
- Provide policy input and support in the areas of workforce development, economic justice, transportation equity, environmental justice and other areas to be determined
Staff Supervision 20%
- Directly supervise the Education Program Managers and other team members with a focus on mentoring and leadership development
- Build an effective, results oriented team and track results towards goals; facilitate team meetings
- Oversee contractors doing work in the Native American and African American community in service of facilitating strong cross racial solidarity movements
- Work closely with Senior Organizing Manager and Senior Political Manger to drive campaigns
Community Relations and External Partnerships 20%
- Develop and cultivate new and existing relationships to support and advance OneAmerica’s work with policy makers, organizations and foundations
- Staff, facilitate, and support coalitions including the South King County Road Map ELL Work Group
- Represent OneAmerica, as assigned, at public forums, events, hearings and other external organizational meetings and conferences
· Grant writing and reporting
· Track budgets
· Build systems for program evaluation and data collection via salesforce
· Oversee contractors and subcontracts
We’re seeking an innovative leader who excels in movement-building, is results-oriented, and has strong project and people management skills. While no one candidate will embody all of the qualifications below we are looking for:
- An entrepreneurial, seasoned, and agile leader who possesses both the vision to inspire and the skills to lead OneAmerica’s efforts to increase the political power of immigrants and refugees at the local, state, and national levels.
- A track record of developing leadership and maintaining strong working relationships among a diverse group of stakeholders and team members where all feel valued, while encouraging growth.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles and shifting priorities and managing multiple projects at once.
- Deep understanding and experience around managing grassroots organizing campaigns/efforts and movement building skills.
- Analysis of power and commitment to racial equity and immigrant justice with track record of advancing racial equity outcomes and ability to work effectively with communities of color in policy settings
- Experience working in a state legislative setting as well as advocating within local and county governments
- 3-5 years’ experience leading policy advocacy efforts preferably around education policy and/or immigrant and refugee rights
- 2-4 years of supervisory experience in an advocacy setting or related field as well as ability to manage large budgets
- Relationships in the education and immigrant rights field and an understanding of the policy landscape in Washington state
- Demonstrated experience with program evaluation and/or producing policy reports
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills. Experienced public speaker and facilitator.
- Bilingual skills are preferred.
- Willingness to travel and accommodate community-based scheduling needs such as evening and weekend meetings
- Access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Washington State driver’s license required
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred but not required. Bachelor’s degree required.
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, life, short- and long-term disability and supplemental AFLAC insurance; Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 403(b) retirement plan; 5 weeks paid time off, paid family leave, ORCA transit card or vehicle stipend and opportunities for sabbatical.
- OneAmerica is committed to employee growth and advancement, including opportunities for professional development
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 30, 2018 with the subject line “Senior Policy Manager.” Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. In your cover letter, please address how your personal and professional background informs your interest in working with OneAmerica. No phone inquiries, please!
OneAmerica is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women and people of color to apply.