121 Steuart Street
The Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund of San Francisco, the Peninsula, Marin and Sonoma Counties is a philanthropic catalyst, connecting Bay Area Jews – of all ages, backgrounds, and perspectives – to the power we have as a community to improve the world. Our vision is for a vibrant, connected, and enduring Jewish community that is a force for good locally, in Israel, and around the world. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
The Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund manages relationships with about 1,000 clients across nearly $2 billion of assets who make privately directed grants of over $200M per year into our communities. Our philanthropic advisory practice works with these clients, who all have unique situations and varying degrees of need for our guidance. Our aim is to be a deeply trusted advisor, and to inform, educate, inspire, and challenge philanthropy driven by Jewish values, and the philanthropists in our communities. Our practice and our team will be growing in the coming years, and we are especially interested in candidates who inspire confidence, model positively for those around them, and have deep experience delivering client service. We are also especially interested in candidates who are forward-thinking, who have an entrepreneurial track record, are able to contribute to a growing business and who want to join a team working to build a new model of 21st century and next generation Jewish philanthropy.
This Philanthropy Associate will administer donor advised funds: donor-directed giving charitable vehicles established by clients who we serve in the Philanthropy Advisory Practice. The donor advised fund program contains approximately 900 funds totaling over $650 million, and grants about 9,000 grants per year. The donor advised fund program and the Philanthropy Advisory will be a growing practice and the person in this position can anticipate the opportunity to professionally develop and rise in the organization over time. The Philanthropy Associate will also support the Director of the Donor Advised Fund program and other colleagues to meet client and prospective client needs. The Philanthropy Associate will also be responsible for assisting with key projects in the development of the business of the philanthropy advisory practice at the Federation and Endowment Fund. This work will support the implementation of a growth strategy that has the goal of becoming a preeminent philanthropy advisory practice in the Jewish world, a trusted advisor to generations of Jewish philanthropists, and a pacesetter in philanthropy. This team support will be assigned depending on areas of expertise and need, and may include: supporting the development of client-centric service models, supporting the build of specific programs and the delivery of specific events related to client experience, and supporting due diligence on new products, platforms, and services for our clients.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Donor advised fund administration:
Client service and fund management
- assist donor advised fund clients on day-to-day issues regarding all aspects of their funds, and perform administrative tasks related to client requests as necessary
Gift and Grants Administration
- Receive, record and acknowledge contributions to Donor Advised Funds (DAF/DAFs)
- Process grant recommendations for DAF clients
- Communicate with grantees, as necessary, regarding fulfillment of grant requests
- Conduct due diligence for weekly grant batch
- First-line client support for online portal access and utilization
- Manage online portal updates and communication process
- Maintain DAF client records as necessary in database
- Manage statement delivery and communication processes
- New fund set-up and existing fund updates
Philanthropy advisory practice client service delivery:
- Completes, with clients and colleagues, key meeting follow-ups so that clients receive caring, pro-active, competent service
- Documents outcomes of meetings in client customer relationship databases and assigns follow ups to Associates and Advisors
- Helps to coordinates client meetings, including the production of agendas, timing and scheduling, electronic and paper documentation and delivery, and helps the Philanthropy Advisors to set agendas for the family’s key philanthropy concerns and foundation agenda and issues across the year
- Helps support the delivery of opportunities for learning and meaningful connection for private funders on a variety of topics such as philanthropic strategy, goals, and grantmaking, with the goal of developing more empowered and grounded and strategic philanthropists in the Jewish community who grant to a variety of Jewish and non-Jewish causes
- Uses and at times administers database information for prospecting, client service, and events
- Runs reports for staff, board, and lay leadership, as requested
- Assists in the delivery of events for clients and prospects
- Is briefed and knowledgeable about Federation’s priorities and funding areas, and can ably represent Federation as a member of the larger team
- Participates as a member of the Philanthropy Advisory Practice for a specific group of projects designed to further develop and advance the business
- Communicates professionally with volunteer leadership, and provides professional support to these leaders
- Supports the management of a community catalogue of Jewish giving opportunities for internal and external programs, programmatic content, collaborative funding opportunities and educational events as needed
- This position will require occasional attendance/participation at events in the evening or on weekends
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-5 years of direct client service experience, in any multifaceted, complex environment
- Experience working with high-net worth clients preferred
- Experience participating in the management of donor advised funds and/or philanthropic operations, systems, and grant programs preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Intrapreneurial or entrepreneurial mindset and interest encouraged
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the Jewish community, its customs and practices
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with many constituencies
- Strong interpersonal skills and team approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Must have a positive attitude that inspires confidence and action
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives and performance standards
- Ability/comfort level to work with a broad cross-section of individuals from the community
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Bachelor’s Degree required
A Great Location
We’re located in San Francisco's financial district (unless otherwise stated), with close proximity to public transportation, great restaurants, shopping, food trucks, and theater. Plus, we’re right across the street from the Ferry Building, which is acclaimed for the quality and diversity of its fresh farm products and artisanal foods.
We provide employer-sponsored medical, vision and dental coverage, company-paid life insurance, 403(b) retirement plans with employer contribution, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, and tax-free deductions for transportation and parking.
Compensation & Time Off
We offer competitive pay and provide up to four weeks of vacation, as well as sick pay, flexible work schedules, federal and Jewish holidays off, and a paid sabbatical.
Our Work Environment
We have an inclusive, collaborative, open culture that values people as our greatest asset – that’s why we encourage growth and professional development. We have staff and peer recognition programs and provide ergonomic assessments and accommodations. There is lots of space for your bike, we know how to throw an awesome holiday party, and, when the sun is out, we have amazing rooftop BBQs with a view that spans the entire Embarcadero. We also enjoy a healthy dose of competition when it comes to baking cook-offs and, yes, we even share those recipes.
If you’re bright, driven, and enjoy working with a talented group of people in a learning-friendly, rapidly evolving environment, we want to hear from you.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required