701 25th Street North
Jones Valley Teaching Farm (JVTF) has called one city block in downtown Birmingham home since 2007. As a demonstration site, the Downtown Campus attracts hundreds of visitors and supporters annually. The site is often bustling it serves as a focal point and demonstration site for our organization, as well as a central resource hub for our school farm sites.
The Assistant Farm Manager supports the Farm Manager in the day-to-day operations of the site and the creation of a welcoming, engaging, and diverse outdoor learning environment. Together, the Farm Managers maintain the farm’s aesthetic and high productivity requirements. Under the direction of the Farm Manager, the Assistant Farm Manager serves as a steward of the site. Together, they welcome a variety of individuals who engage with JVTF’s work and mission . An Assistant Farm Manager performs many farm tasks directly. They also facilitate, direct, and train individuals with varying degrees of farming experience. The Assistant Farm Manager collaborates with the Senior Farm Manager and Farm Manager to develop and deliver outreach programs, including the production internship, work trade programs, volunteer programs, site tours, and the community garden.
This work requires a deep understanding of organic and sustainable growing practices, and a high degree of professionalism, as well as strong management, organizational, and communication skills.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Believers in the power of education and food
- A commitment to social justice
- A positive and constructive attitude
- Self-direction and self-motivation
- A drive for learning
- The ability to hear, reflect upon and implement feedback
- The ability to perform as a clear, direct, and encouraging trainer
- The ability to safely and skillfully operate and provide basic maintenance for a variety of farm equipment, hand tools, power equipment, and farm vehicles
- Must have the capability to participate in physically demanding gardening and landscape work
- A minimum of two years of experience with organic and sustainable growing practices
- Undergraduate degree or apprenticeship experience in related field preferred
- Criminal background check and a valid driver’s license required
The Assistant Farm Manager is a year-round, full-time position with a three-month probation period. Competitive compensation packages include salary, health benefits, and paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested in applying, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com (subject line: Assistant Farm Manager) by November 9th, 2018.