External Affairs Assistant, External Affairs
San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
Tipping Point Community works to break the cycle of poverty for individuals and families in the Bay Area. Since 2005, Tipping Point has raised more than $200 million to support the 1.3 million people in the Bay Area who are too poor to meet their basic needs. We leverage the resources and expertise of our community to invest in solutions that prevent poverty: a nurturing early childhood, strong education, gainful employment, and stable housing. We are laser-focused on metrics and hold our partners and ourselves accountable for results. Our Board covers 100% of our costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We are one community. We believe that the responsibility for fighting poverty belongs to all of us.
- We serve. Our approach is humble and respectful. We exist to meet the needs of others.
- We get results. We are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We hold ourselves and each other accountable.
- We are always learning. We are risk takers. We commit to facing our challenges as we support solutions that last.
What will you do?
We are seeking an External Affairs Assistant enthusiastic about pitching in wherever needed to support the External Affairs team in order to affect social change. External Affairs consists of two teams - Communications and Events. Together, these teams are responsible for producing best-in-class events and creative concepts that deeply engage stakeholders and move them to take action in the fight against poverty. You will assist with all administrative and operational functions for External Affairs while increasing its efficiency and productivity in the process. The position reports to the Managing Director, External Affairs.
- Own the administrative and operations workflow for the team including calendar and agenda management, meeting scheduling and note taking.
- Leverage Salesforce and Meltwater (media monitoring service) for regular reporting; produce quarterly briefs integrating key results such as social media metrics.
- Utilize contracts and invoicing systems to track engagements, deliverables and expenses.
- Update and maintain core communications documents, including fact sheets and a diverse range collateral.
- Track and lead efforts on activities such as media coverage and speaker, interview and press requests for the organization.
- Conduct ad hoc research, including vendor exploration, press and speaking opportunities.
- Create an organizational system for digital files and ensure consistent maintenance across team.
- Provide administrative support as needed, including event assistance for the External Affairs team and rotating front desk coverage for the office.
Who are you?
- You have at least 1 year of professional experience in administrative support, data entry, and/or client service.
- You are super organized. You are known for your keen attention to detail and you love developing and efficiently maintaining systems and processes.
- You are flexible. You can shift your focus between competing priorities with ease and have the ability to occasionally work on nights and weekends.
- You have a customer service mentality. You invest in people and recognize you are part of a whole. You learn from others, teach those around you, and truly care about the people you work with, leading to a better outcome for everyone.
- You are passionate. Passionate about the issues, your role, our impact, or anything else. That passion energizes you.
- You are a creative problem solver. You have the ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity. You get a kick out of digging deep and are savvy at leveraging technology to make the task easier.
Nice to have*:
- Working knowledge with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Box, Meltwater and Salesforce, or a willingness/aptitude to learn quickly.
- Experience working with communication, event planning, philanthropy, public relations, or non-profit organizations.
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Minimum Education Required