ABOUT UNITED FOR RESPECT
United for Respect (UFR) is a multiracial national nonprofit organization organizing people working in retail and fighting for fair, safe, and bold legislative and corporate policies that improve the lives of people who work in the sector. UFR is advancing a movement for an economy where corporations respect working people and support a democracy that allows everyone to live and work in dignity. We are building the 21st Century labor movement and we need a phenomenal department director of strategic communications to fight fiercely and implement strategies to win a world where we can all live and work in dignity.
Through strategic communications engagement, innovating digital strategies, scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family-sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media and our digital platform, WorkIt — and bring the retail workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
United for Respect is seeking a strategic, innovative and dynamic Director of Strategic Communications to provide vision, leadership and direction for the organization’s internal and external communications. The Director of Strategic Communications will help design, shape and execute a comprehensive, multi-faceted communications program that supports United for Respect’s position as the leading advocate for people working in the retail sector and develops regular earned media opportunities for the organization.
This is a director position that will oversee the communications team responsible for building and moving a high-level and multi-faceted communications strategy throughout the organization. This is not a 9-5 job. We are looking for someone highly independent, able to manage a remote team, and take initiative. In this political climate, we are often working in rapid response moments and we are looking for someone who thrives in that environment.
The Director of Strategic Communications will:
- Develop and execute strategy that raises the profile of the organization’s brand, public profile and campaigns that center the voices of people who work in retail;
- Help set the strategic direction of the organization in collaboration with the senior leadership team;
- Develop short- and long-term external and internal communications strategies;
- Conceive and execute creative narrative & storytelling campaigns which support program and development efforts;
- Effectively manage and mentor a growing team of communication professionals;
- Engage the public through earned and paid media;
- Lead efforts to reach new audiences; and
- Advance the issues of fairness and equality for the 16 million retail workers.
The Director of Strategic Communications will report to the Managing Director and the Co-Executive Director and will manage a growing communications team (ranging from 2 - 4 staff members). The Director of Strategic Communications will serve as a member of the organization’s senior leadership team and will help set the strategic direction of the organization.
- Generate strong press in traditional and emergent media coverage and oversee the quality and consistency of messaging in external facing communications.
- Create and implement forward-thinking, organization-wide communications and messaging to promote United for Respect’s work, including advocacy, policy and electoral campaigns and educational programs.
- Create innovative messaging to diverse audiences, including the general public as well as the media, policy makers and members.
- Manage all communications and strategic messaging activities that includes but are not limited to, brand development, advertising, web communications, and crisis response.
- Coordinate the development and distribution of communications, messaging and narrative products including press releases, statements, op-eds, videos, infographics, and other materials.
- Develop high quality message guidance for key stakeholders in the progressive ecosystem and within the organization.
- Develop and execute high-impact, creative narrative designed to guide long-term positioning and impact.
- Evaluate communications and efforts by documenting performance metrics, analyzing overall effectiveness and impact of communications campaigns, and refining communications efforts based on learnings.
- Cultivate relationships with national, regional, and state news outlets and reporters.
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to create and drive a plan for public and media engagement.
- Partner with the development team to maximize revenue and grow membership, including small donor scaled fundraising.
- 8+ years of experience with exceptional strategic communications and creative narrative, storytelling skills and generation of regular earned media.
- Demonstrated track record of success creating and implementing communications strategies for a large, complex organization.
- Significant electoral, legislative and crisis communications experience.
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong and positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Willingness to take risks and innovate in order to reach new audiences and assure United for Respect’s communications and narrative are on the cutting edge.
- Ability to lead, model and embed, equity diversity and inclusion principles within their teams and across the organization.
- Experience serving as a member of senior leadership teams, working in close partnership with fundraising and advocacy leaders.
- Outstanding public speaking skills, with experience serving as the representative for an organization to the public, particularly in public speaking engagements and with the media.
- Significant management experience and a track record for managing and developing diverse and high-performing teams.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to excel under pressure and tight timelines.
- Eye towards strong design and branding.
- Strong emotional and intersectional intelligence.
- Commitment to confidentiality and the ability to exercise absolute discretion and independent judgment.
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families, and an interest in deepening your commitment to economic, racial and gender justice.
- Strong problem-solving, relationship-building, and interpersonal skills across a range of tasks and audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to be a proactive team player and take initiative.
- Highly motivated individual with a passion for transforming the lives of working people in low-wage jobs.
- Comfortable with a remote work culture.
- Travel requirement as needed.
Salary Range: 100K - 120K, depending on experience.
Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage and 401k. Ability to travel is a must.
United for Respect is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.