Details: The hourly rate for this position is $15.
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Seasonal Hosting Student Admissions Advisor's broad responsibilities are to assist in the daily management of hosted student applications. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to: screening of hosted student applications to ensure adherence to AFS-USA’s acceptance criteria, AFS International standards, Department of State regulations, and CSIET standards; communication with AFS Partner Countries regarding missing or questionable content in student applications and status of student acceptance; maintaining accurate data entry and updates in the Global Link database and other Hosting Program administrative tasks as required.
Student Application Management
- Process inbound student applications utilizing process checklists and verifying student information in necessary databases.
- Determine eligibility of hosted participants for AFS programs in accordance with established program criteria.
- Communicate with AFS Partner countries regarding missing or unclear information, and update student acceptance status.
- Coordinate with relevant staff within AFS-USA regarding withdrawals, specific situations or requests, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Ensure that AFS-USA, AFS International, state and local guidelines, US Department of State regulations, and CSIET standards are being followed.
- Serve as a member of the Hosting Operations Team, attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Remain well-informed about all AFS-USA programs, especially any hosting program changes.
- Provide timely, professional, and accurate responses or information to AFS Partner countries and staff in other departments on Hosting Operations Department procedures, while adhering to contact standards.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Ideal candidates have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study or equivalent experience and will possess the following knowledge/skills/experience:
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, and Internet applications. (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Google Docs)
- Experience working within database systems, user level skills.
- Administrative experience.
- Track record of working collaboratively to achieve results and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Both written and over the phone relationship management and customer service skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under multiple deadlines.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and work in a fast paced environment.
- Commitment to the mission and principles of AFS Intercultural Programs.
The Seasonal Hosting Student Admissions Advisor will work out of the AFS-USA office in New York, NY. The Hosting Operations Department is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. The Seasonal Hosting Student Admissions Advisor must be flexible to work outside these hours, including evening and weekend work. There will be times when hours will have to be altered with seasonal fluctuations in workload, goals, and deadlines. Depending on workload, the number of hours in each day may vary. All hour alterations should be approved at least one week prior to actual date of the change.
This is a seasonal position with anticipating start date of December 10, 2018, and will last four months with the possibility of extension for an additional 3 months based upon successful completion and based upon department needs. The applicant must be available for the entire four month period.
It is the policy of AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law) predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Do you want to join the AFS-USA Team?! To apply, please click on the link. Please include your cover letter and resume in the application. No phone calls please.