Part Time Temporary Contract
Details: Starting Rate $25/HR
610 West 112th street
Liberty LEADS is a NYC-based college access program that has been serving over 200 underrepresented youth between 5th and 12th grade each year since 1989. Liberty LEADS was founded to empower youth by helping them attain higher education, embrace leadership engagement, and create a positive future for themselves and others. Liberty LEADS provides an alternative learning environment in which young people can experience success as learners and increase their ability and motivation to graduate from high school and seek entry into postsecondary education and/or meaningful employment. The program is guided by the principle that all children have gifts, talents, and great potential and can contribute to one another's social and academic growth.
Adventure in the City Program is a summer program for students entering the 9th grade. AIC focuses on building leadership skills and enhancing interpersonal relationships through the use of experiential education and environmental science. This model will equip the participants with the skills necessary for them to make a healthy transition from middle school to high school. Students will have the opportunity to work together with their peers as they explore the theme and begin to tackle their understanding of leadership as incoming high school students. The Liberty teaching model uses a co-teaching approach where 2 teachers will work together and will support students in building essential skills.
Liberty LEADS is looking for youth/group workers who are energetic, creative, and professionally mature individuals who enjoy working outdoors with youth during the summer. If you are looking to be part of the Liberty LEADS supportive and dynamic team and have an innovative curriculum to share please review the duties and qualifications below and apply. Programming begins July 2, 2018 and will meet the first week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (Wednesday July 4th National Holiday),and continues for the remainder of July meeting Monday through Thursday. Required hours are 9:00 am to 3:30pm. All applicants must be able to work the entire program and willing to accompany students on field trips. Salary is commensurate with experience and available funding. Mandatory Teacher Orientation & training will take place in June, date TBA.
- Create and follow through on a proposal and curriculum
- Provide individual support to students
- Provide step by step instruction
- Lead groups through community building activities
- Employ classroom and behavior management skills
- Embody the programs principles
- Reflect upon practice with supervisor daily and adapt to challenges
- Manage students both in and outside of the classroom
- Participate in student outings
- Bachelor or Graduate degree
- Bachelor or Graduate in Social Work or Physical Education is a plus
- Experienced in Group work and or Project Based Learning
- Co-teaching, teaching and student management experience
- Experience working with 8th graders in an after school, leadership program, summer program or school setting.
- Must be comfortable doing outdoor activities during the summer.
- Demonstrate knowledge of child development
- Experience planning and implementing curriculum in group settings
- Salary commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please forward cover letter and resume to:
Marisol Saks, Operations Manager - Banks Street College of Education - Liberty Leads
email@example.com & apply through the Bank Street website