Details: Benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization.
1500 K Street NW, Suite 900
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, one of the nation’s leading civil rights organizations, is seeking a Media Relations Manager to assist a small and dynamic Communications team. This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C. Some travel is required.
Candidates must be committed to social justice, familiar with civil rights issues and possess strong initiative and drive. The Media Relations Manager’s primary supervisor will be the Director of Communications.
The Media Relations Manager will assist in developing and executing the organization’s strategic communications plan and focus on expanding our national visibility through media relations, digital communications and marketing. S/he will use his/her experience and skill to advance the visibility, following and work of the Lawyers’ Committee through communication strategies that will inform, educate and garner support on behalf of the organization. Responsibilities include coordinating press relations and opportunities, assisting with social media platform messaging, and all written and spoken output around litigation, advocacy and events.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
· Assist in the execution of a communications strategy that advances the organization's mission and issue area positions
· Help develop and disseminate effective messaging around civil rights and social justice issues
· Coordinate the development of the organization's external and internal communications, including op-eds, press statements and monthly newsletter
· Assist the Director of Communications with coordination of media and interview requests
· Play an integral role in organizing press briefings/events, digital town halls and other events via social media
· Identify and secure speaking opportunities for staff
· Support and interface with the organization’s fundraising team and other staff
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
· At least 3 years of relevant experience in press, communications or media
· Established relationships and ability to build relationships with reporters and editors
· Excellent writing skills
· Understanding of digital and press tools such as Cision
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment
· Ability to function as part of a team
· Comfort working in a diverse environment
· Interest in social and racial justice and familiarity with civil rights issues
· Ability to translate complex concepts for broad audience
No calls will be accepted. The position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Lawyers’ Committee does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, personal appearance, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status protected under law.
We strongly encourage candidates of color and candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
Accessibility Assistance: Although calls will not be accepted regarding questions about the position, if you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please call 202-662-8600 and ask for an applicant accommodation or send an email with the subject line “Applicant Accommodation” to email@example.com.
Salary are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and desired salary range to https://podio.com/webforms/21799430/1521158.