High School Social Worker 2018-2019 School Year (Bronx Location)
- Job posted by Urban Dove TEAM Charter School
600 Lafayette Avenue
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Urban Dove Team Charter School (UD Team) is a completely unique and innovative network of alternative sports-based high schools for over-aged, under-credited youth. Our schools combine a rigorous academic curriculum with a hands-on, real-world vocational program, and an award-winning college and career readiness program that strives to give each graduate a high school diploma, a foundation for higher education, and the job skills needed to enter the world of work.
Energize. UD Team schools energize at-risk students through a sports, health and fitness program that focuses on developing teamwork, healthy competition, and self-confidence for academic and life success.
Educate. UD Team schools educate over-aged, under-credited students through a 3-year mastery-based, personalized instructional program that leads to a high school diploma, a foundation for higher education, and the job skills needed to enter the world of work.
Empower. UD Team schools empower disconnected youth through individualized academic support, internships, and counseling so that they are prepared to be active, healthy, informed world citizens.
Some highlights of our program include:
- Students are members of small, single-gender teams that practice together, play together, go to class together, and receive support services together
- Students spend significant portions of each day playing and participating in a sports, health and fitness curriculum
- Each team of students is accompanied and mentored by a Coach
- Staff are supported, mentored, and heard through a governance structure that values all constituents
- UD Team uses restorative practices in response to behavior infractions and focuses heavily on youth development and the social emotional education of our students
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Urban Dove Social Workers provide social and emotional support, and crisis and therapeutic interventions, to a population of over-age, under-credited adolescents. School Social Workers address the diverse needs of students and families; provide at-risk and crisis counseling; provide staff support and assist in the development of classroom interventions; promote family involvement and offer crisis intervention in an effort to support the growth and development of students. School Social Workers are part of the Student Support Services Department, and work in conjunction with the Dean to implement Restorative Practices and reduce Suspensions and Expulsions. Additionally, our School Social Workers play a pivotal role in the education and professional development of staff on Restorative Practices and Social Emotional Development of our students.
- Provide individual and group therapy to ~80 students, either in response to crisis or ongoing, depending on the need
- Establish partnerships with families, teachers, coaches and outside agencies to provide necessary social and emotional support to students.
- Build strong rapport and work collaboratively with teachers, coaches, support staff and administration to effectively respond to the needs of youth, including but not limited to the development of behavioral intervention plans, crisis response, case planning,
- Facilitate mediations, restorative circles, community-building circles and harm circles between students and also between students and staff members.
- Contribute to IEPs as needed
- Keep accurate and updated case notes
- Conduct functional behavioral plans in conjunction with the special education department.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the school team to address the social and emotional needs of students.
- Coordinate services with outside providers (case management) as needed.
- Plan and implement monthly staff development sessions to educate staff on social emotional and restorative practices
- Experience providing direct services to at-risk adolescents
- Minimum of one year experience in a school, preferably a transfer school
- Desire to devise programming to address the unique needs of our population and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to “multi-task” and deliver high quality work
- Commitment to the UD Team mission and core values of Teamwork, Leadership, and Communication
- Commitment to the use of restorative practices and a strength-based, youth development approach to student issues
- Ability to function well as part of a team and work independently
- Must be team-oriented, with a strong work ethic, excellent communication skills, a passion for serving at-risk youth, and a sense of humor
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position with an updated resume to email@example.com. Be sure to include “Social Worker-Bronx” in the subject line.