Details: Salary range and benefits package: highly competitive.
Results for America is a not-for-profit organization focused on helping decision-makers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve our world's greatest challenges. To support local government decision-makers, our team at Results for America serves as the What Works Cities campaign manager. In this role, we are responsible for the success of the overall initiative, including its long-term sustainability, scale, and impact. We ensure the effective operation of the initiative, including managing city relationships, coordinating What Works Cities partners and resources, leading What Works Cities Certification, and driving national communications and engagement around this work.
What Works Cities is a Bloomberg Philanthropies initiative increasing local governments’ use of data and evidence to improve the quality of life for city residents. What Works Cities helps US cities improve how they track and use information to make decisions about everything from economic development to public safety. We also help cities identify and implement innovative programs to solve their most critical challenges. Through our work, we are leading a national movement to improve how cities are run and deliver results for residents.
Results for America is seeking a highly-skilled, energetic, entrepreneurial marketing leader to drive What Works Cities’ marketing and communications strategy. Marketing strategy in particular is a new, critical, functional discipline within the What Works Cities initiative, and the primary objective of this role is to drive broader and deeper understanding of the impact and value of our work to a diverse audience, both domestic and international. Creativity, strong project management, and interpersonal skills are essential, as is the ability to work as part of a mission-driven team.
Position Reporting Relationship
This position will report to the Executive Director, What Works Cities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Distill and communicate the power of What Works Cities practices to elevate us as experts on well-managed, data-driven local governance;
- Develop a strategic marketing and communications plan to increase the visibility of What Works Cities and create strong connections to the brand;
- Establish goals for the expansion of the WWC movement to new audiences, tactics for achieving them, and metrics to track our success;
- Broaden and diversify the audience compelled by What Works Cities’ mission, inside and outside of city halls, and advance the movement of data-driven city government;
- Distill and disseminate insights from WWC work across various channels;
- Expand the number of city governments working to advance on What Works Cities Certification, the first-ever national standard of excellence for data-driven local governments. Develop strategies for building demand for Certification;
- Serve as the strategic lead on the planning and execution of a variety of WWC-led external events;
- Identify and secure opportunities to bolster the WWC brand through high visibility media partnerships, and participation in relevant conferences, convenings, etc.;
- Support WWC partner organizations and Bloomberg Philanthropies in building the brand of WWC and a sense of community;
- Ensure WWC and key leaders are visible externally, as thought leaders, and provide guidance and support regarding strategic messaging, writing, editing and publishing; and
- Oversee the communications team, which is led by a strong communications leader who drives general messaging, communications planning, media and PR plans consistent with organizational goals.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in New York, NY.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, graduate degree a plus
- 12+ years of work experience, ideally including private sector marketing experience
- Significant experience in marketing, external affairs, and/or communications, with progressive leadership responsibility and a track record of creating, delivering, and measuring innovative marketing strategies
- Strong network of relationships with thought leaders in a relevant space, and the capacity to effectively enlist and engage leaders to support our work
- Proven success tailoring complex messages in compelling ways to a diverse range of audiences
- Big picture, strategic thinker, with strong problem-solving skills, and an outcome-oriented approach
- Exceptional analytic, written and verbal communications skills
- Outstanding organizational skills, including strong capacity to manage and coordinate simultaneous projects and successfully prioritize among multiple tasks within a fast-paced initiative
- Collaborative and flexible work style and commitment to a collegial workplace. Ability to influence and drive change in a collaborative manner
- Enthusiasm for working in an early-stage organization, educating stakeholders on how to elevate marketing/communications as an organizational value
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently in a fast paced, results-oriented workplace
- High proficiency in project management software, Microsoft Office, and Google Suite
- Experience working with governments a plus
Salary range and benefits package: highly competitive.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, subject: “Director, Marketing and Communications – Your Name”. Please note that your cover letter should be no longer than one page and specifically detail your interest in this position.
Results for America is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages people from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our organization.